Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth it to just replace the solenoid, or should I just go ahead and replace the whole thing?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Is it worth it to just replace the solenoid, or should I just go ahead and replace the whole thing?
Have you looked at your brushes and springs in the starter? Take a look first, also check the windings for any burnt looking spots. If all looks good, just do the solenoid, also, some brushes can be inverted upside down to, in effect, be like replacing them without the additional cost.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
If you look around your area you will find a company or two that rebuilds starters and altenators etc. They will usually guaranty the rebuild for a year. Cost around here is about 100-125. Always good work. Replaces bendix and whatever is needed.

Takes a day or two.

Good luck!
Stan

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a local shop, I would like to use them, just don't want the car down for too long with the weather nice... The car only has 53K and I know it is the solenoid, would not start after a long drive, tapped the solenoid, started right up. I guess I might as well replace everything if I have it pulled out. Why are the starters for the 86-89 different?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
There is a local shop, I would like to use them, just don't want the car down for too long with the weather nice... The car only has 53K and I know it is the solenoid, would not start after a long drive, tapped the solenoid, started right up. I guess I might as well replace everything if I have it pulled out. Why are the starters for the 86-89 different?
Tapping it could have actually pulled/pushed the starter motor from a bad contact/brush, doesn't mean it was the solenoid. If you had to jump the positive on solenoid with the motor with a screwdriver, then yes, it was your solenoid...

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Take the thing apart and clean everything. All contacts, all sliding contacts. Check the brushes for length -- new brushes are available or let the shop do that. They're good at it. My 164 starter rebuild had a 1-week turnaround time in a Norfolk, VA, shop. But our '79 Spider's repeated "solenoid" problems (hard warm starts) turned out to disappear when I took things apart for cleaning and greasing up with dielectric grease.

Michael

·
Registered
what part?
9,895 Posts
a helpfull hint here. if you do replace the solenoid, replace the 3 flat head screws with 3 allen bolts. will make it easyer to replace it later, even on the car itself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts