Alfa Romeo Forums banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Just an observation here to add to the confusion. Note for example the 1005 824 071 number is on the nose housing. Alfa and Bosch have typically used the number on the field coil housing as the starter assembly number. The Series 3 Spider starter I have here shows 1 005 231 071 on the nose housing but the complete starter is listed in the Alfa parts book as 0 001 108 024, the same number that's on the coil housing. It would seem that the 1005 824 071 is the part number for the nose housing only.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Here are some pics of the starter I have. The numbers in this case seem to be on the coil housing rather than the nose, unless I have the anatomy wrong. The admonition on the other label seems a wise precaution from Bosch given the frustration associated with finding the right starter!

Ts

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just an observation here to add to the confusion. Note for example the 1005 824 071 number is on the nose housing. Alfa and Bosch have typically used the number on the field coil housing as the starter assembly number. The Series 3 Spider starter I have here shows 1 005 231 071 on the nose housing but the complete starter is listed in the Alfa parts book as 0 001 108 024, the same number that's on the coil housing. It would seem that the 1005 824 071 is the part number for the nose housing only.
To further compound the confusion, a geared starter I believe came from an 86-89 car has the 1005 821 071 number on the nose casting, but an 0 001 108 011 number (!) on the field (motor) housing. The 90-94 starter I bought from APE matches what you indicate, ie. 0 001 108 081 on the field (motor) housing, and 1005 821 419 on the nose casting.

Jim, any chance you can see if 0 001 108 011 corresponds to any Alfa part number from somewhere around that era? It doesn't show up on PartBob (nor do 0 001 108 081 and SR484X) , but 0 001 108 024 shows up as being applicable to pretty much every Nord Alfa from 72-88(?).

PartBob.com the Online Store of Robert Bosch

BTW, when doing part searches on PartBob, add one leading zero and omit any spaces if you don't want thousands of results.

I don't know if this helps or confuses, but this is from the horses' mouth.

Mike, the number we're referring to is stamped on the motor housing roughly under the SR484X sticker on your starter. BTW, I like the "Do not strike with hammer" sticker. Good advice. Every fool knows you hit the solenoid with a hammer, not the motor itself! :hammer:

Paul

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Things are a little tighter yet. The guys who sold me the ring gear starter combination emphatically tell me that it is a fit, but I still have my doubts since the starter is 1005 821 071 and the ring is 130 tooth, and everything that I have found so far indicates that this starter should fit a 131 tooth RG. I will check under the label when I get home to look for other numbers but I am very unwilling to forge ahead with this combination at this stage

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Ok
I think I have come to a resolution. I called alfa parts exchange and they have a gear reduction starter from an s4 spider that will mesh with a 130 tooth RG. So I have bought it and will return the doubtful unit. Multiple sources state that a late spider starter will work with the 1974 engine. I am much happier about this. The starter may be older, but is functional and I can always get this rebuilt when it packs in. Easier to get the starter out than replace the ring gear. So there it is. Should have the part by the end of the week and I am very excited at the prospect of having the car running again. I am assuming that the shim should go back in between starter and bell housing. Will keep you posted and let you know if it works and other details in this precautionary tale.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I just peeled off the sticker on the starter provided to me and its pretty clear what's going on. This starter is a composite of 2 parts. The body and the nose assembly. The body number is 0 001 108-024. The nose is designated 1-005-821-071. From the comments in this thread and from spruels web page, it appears that this starter is for spiders fr 1986-1989; ie 131 tooth ring gear. The starter needed for a 130 tooth ring gear is, apparently I think, interchangeable between cars 1972-74 and 1990-1994. The numerical I'd on this starter should be body: 0-001-108-081 and nose assembly 1-005-821-419. I have obtained a used starter from a 1992 spider fr alfa parts exchange and it has the latter set of numbers. On this basis it should fit into a 1974 with 130 tooth ring gear. I will find out this weekend. I don't know what to do with the starter shim so will just put it back on with the new starter.

Thanks for all the excellent and generous advice

Ts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Group 2 certainly stand behind their recommendation. They urged me to go ahead with installing what I refer to as the doubtful (ie 131 tooth)starter, and solemnly promised to take care, at their expense, of any problems should they arise after the installation. I trust them and know they would be good for their word but I am still going ahead with the retrofit from a 1992 spider. Perhaps they are right and I am the one who is confused. I will never know (unless my install ends up not working.....that would be dismal).

So, here goes........

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I just got the used starter from APE. Looks ok but there is a little play in the pinion bearing. What do you think, should I have it rebuilt or just put it on and run the car? I am leaning toward the latter as long as no risk of damage to RG

TS

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
So, an update for the record. I managed to get the transmission back in, it was actually pretty straightfoward with the hf trans jack. The used starter from ape was then attached with the shim and shoulder bolt as originally installed. Seems to work well so far. I have yet to drive it or start the engine. But I am hopeful that all is now well.

Wanted to thank all on the BB site. I am sincerely grateful for your
Generosity in sharing wisdom and expertise. This is a great resource and source of encouragement and support.

Ts

61 - 72 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.