Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had a starter relay installed and it immediately resolved the much discussed intermittent starting issue on my 1982 Spider. This morning I have a new starting issue: the starter continues to operate after the engine has started and after I turn off the ignition/engine. (I temporarily resolved the stater issue by unhooking the battery cable). What is the most likely cause of this problem? Ignition switch, faulty starter relay or something else? My electrical skills are limited, so I appreciate your ideas. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,561 Posts
sounds like the starter solenoid sticking. Does this happen every time or only sometimes.?

visually check wires on starter motor, that none are perhaps frayed and grounding.

could also be the IGN. switch (does starter still run on when you remove the key?)
or indeed a sticking relay.
cheapest check by far is to just buy a new 10$ relay and swop it and see what happens... :)

either way it needs to be solved. worse case scenario you get an electrical fire and lose the car.
(keep a wrench in the trunk to disconnect battery)

·
Super Moderator
10,110 Posts
cheapest check by far is to just buy a new 10$ relay and swop it and see what happens...
Agree with spiderserie4. The problem could be anything in the starter circuit: switch, relay, solenoid or starter itself. But if the problem cropped up shortly after adding the relay, then the relay is probably the cause. And relays are cheap and easy to substitute.

But again, it could be anything. You don't want to let the starter keep running after the engine has started; your ring gear will get chewed up pretty quickly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Before rebuilding your starter you may want to test the battery. I had the same issue with my starter and read on this board that it might be related to the battery. I took the battery to the auto parts store and sure enough it failed the load test.

I replaced the battery and she's been fine ever since.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
What 12 volt wire source did you use to energize the relay coil, at terminal 85 or 86? Make sure that wire drops the 12 volts OFF when you return the key to the run position, otherwise it will seal in the relay and keep power on the solenoid. This is how industrial relays work in motor starter circuits.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the ideas. It does happen very time I start the car. This morning I replaced the relay with the same result. Tomorrow I’ll call the shop which installed the relay and pass along you ideas. Electrical stuff is beyond my capabilities.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the problem with a 72 Spica injected car. (Of course a relay is not a part of the origional starter wiring configuration.) The problem stopped when I disconnected the cold start solenoid wire. Therefore I installed a diode in that connection and appears to have solved the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts