Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I am getting my starter rebuilt, I want to install a starter relay. I understand I need to disconnect the ignition wire from the solenoid and connect it to the relay. I have two questions about the 12V wire:

1. In the figure below (courtesy of ghnl), do I leave the red wire connected to the solenoid?

2. In order to provide 12V to the relay, can I connect a wire from the solenoid or do I need to connect a wire from the power junction box on the driver side?

Attachments

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,855 Posts
The big red wire at the starter is to the starter itself, not the solenoid. You need to leave that connected. The only wire you need to disconnect is the wire from the ignition switch.

Yes, you can pull 12V for the starter relay from the lug where the big red wire connects. Wherever you draw power from, you should have a fuse on the relay power feed line.

·
Administrator
16,366 Posts
The medium size red wire sends full battery voltage to & from the junction box. It doesn't really have anything to do with operation of the starter - it's just a convenient place to connect to the large (black) cable that goes to the battery.

One disadvantage of tapping onto the lug where the battery cable & red wire attach at the starter's solenoid is that it'd be difficult to quickly detach if one needed to do so (although I don't know why one would need to do so...).

Easier would be to tap onto the other end of that red wire - in the junction box on the left inner fender.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up tapping into the lug with the battery cable for power, but I also installed a fuse on the wire in case I had to disconnect it.

The starter is now working great with the new relay, but my engine won't start! I started a new thread on that problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts