Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at a bit of a loss. 71 1750 spider. There are only 2 wires going to my starter. The black wire from the ignition that goes to the solinoid and then to CSS and the huge cable from the battery. Everything is working but I want to install a relay. Every thread I read states that there should be a red wire also connected to the starter. My wiring diagram shows this wire leading back to #1 fuse form the starter. On my car the appears to bypass the starter and comes directly off the alternator. There are only two terminals on the starter. One holds the heavy cable from the battery. The second were the black ignition wire attaches, has two spades coming from it. One may be the location intended for the mystery red wire.

Any idea how I can make this work?

BTW I was able to fix my ignition switch. I attended a charitable event in Austin Tx at which there were many many Ferarris and 4 Alfas. The Alfas all belonged to the Hill Country Alfa Club and these guys really knew there stuff. One of them was framiliar with the switch and explained how to fix it. Took less than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
You already have a starter relay. That is the function of the small wire. Please explain what you mean a bit better.

Would be great if you could explain for us the switch fix!
Thanks Elio

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
BTW I was able to fix my ignition switch. I attended a charitable event in Austin Tx at which there were many many Ferarris and 4 Alfas. The Alfas all belonged to the Hill Country Alfa Club and these guys really knew there stuff. One of them was framiliar with the switch and explained how to fix it. Took less than 5 minutes.
Hi, good to see you on the board! So Ben's advice worked for you, great!!!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Can't help you with the mystery wire, but on my '83 I did all the relay stuff under-dash. There's a bundle of wires coming off the ignition switch, then another wire with a single connector on it, all by itself. That's the power lead to the starter solenoid. Apply voltage to it to engage the starter. I mounted my relay via the mounting-grounding screw on the bottom of the dash, driver's side. I tapped into the lead on the harness attached to the ignition switch itself, and got power from one of the wires in the main bundle of the ignition switch. This means no modifications to the car's original wiring harness, just the ignition switch's harness.

Apparently most of my current loss was indeed in the ignition switch, because after the mod, I don't have to worry about getting the car to turn over, even with a weak battery.

I'm assuming your model uses a similar setup....best to get the ohm meter and/or schematic out and double-check the function of the lone ignition switch lead. This should be enough info to get you up and running, but feel free to PM me if you want pics or more info on this particular setup.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts