Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to pull my non-running spider onto car ramps using starter and starter died on me!! Was cranking good before that. Hope I did not damage something pulling the car with the starter. Have done many times with older cars but not with newer vintage!! Also, does the sump guard have to come off to get to oil drain plug? Thanks.

·
Registered
what part?
10,665 Posts
no on the plug..... to pull the starter you must go in thru the top.... but this is a good time as you remove all the bolts to clean them up, and add anti seize to the threads... and while you are at. it.. change your engine mounts,, you dont want to do this jib......twice... you might have killed the starter..

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
Trying to pull my non-running spider onto car ramps using starter and starter died on me!! Was cranking good before that. Hope I did not damage something pulling the car with the starter. Have done many times with older cars but not with newer vintage!! Also, does the sump guard have to come off to get to oil drain plug? Thanks.
when you say "starter died on me", what exactly do you mean.........

when you turn the key there is nothing at all? or, do you hear a click?
If you turn on the main lights then turn the key to try and start, do the lights dim? (easier to try this at night)

·
Registered
what part?
10,665 Posts
relay the starter..... you will find how to do it in these pages. the key switch really cannot handle all those amps.. and as you stated.. you used the starter to climb those ramps.. thats alot of load on that pour little key switch

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Bianchi is right, that's what I was thinking... you may have killed the switch.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
FWIW, I have done the starter method to move a non-running Alfa many times without issue. Even on an 86 like yours.
I must have great key switches:)

·
Push hard and live
10,861 Posts
High current and cumulative heat take their toll over time. At some point, it’ll be the last amp that kills the switch.

I’ve got a used 3-bolt starter from my 77 if you need it. I thought it had an engagement problem, but after I bought a replacement I discovered one missing and one loose bolt. I made the change anyway.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am ashamed to say, but, my starter problem was a bad cell in battery!! I had been cranking ok since I got the car so I thought it unusual that battery would quit instantly like it did. The car had been sitting about a year with dead battery before I got it. Anyway, I charged the battery and it turns over now. A little slow so I will be getting new one soon. Sorry for all the trouble for nothing.

·
Registered
what part?
10,665 Posts
now . install a relay into the starter system

1 - 10 of 10 Posts