Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping someone out there can point me in the right direction on a problem I am having with the starter on my 101 Giulia Spider. So I have been driving this car for 40-some years, and the original starter always worked a treat. Until it didn't, of course. So I removed the starter and took it to a local rebuilder ("I can rebuild any starter") and that's when things got complicated. Now I know several starters came on these cars, but the one that came from the factory on my car is a Bosch AL/EEF 07/12 R11, which is shown in the Spare Parts Catalog in Tables 74 and 75. So after a few weeks, the rebuilder I took it to called me to say none of his Bosch suppliers could figure out what parts to send him for the rebuild. Apparently they cannot find the cross-references they need to supply what the guy needs to rebuild it. He says he wants to get the brushes and solenoid drive in order to do the work. So I called a couple other starter rebuilders around Virginia (where I live) and though they were kind enough to spend time looking through their Bosch references, they could not help either. So I talked to the guys at Centerline, as they had previously offered rebuilt starters for my car ( with a core trade-in) but their rebuilder moved last year and they have lost touch with him and have not yet found a replacement. Now I have to believe someone knows what parts to get from Bosch to do this work, but I can't figure out how to uncover that data. So I appeal to all of you for any leads or a pointer to a rebuilder that might be able to figure out what part numbers my rebuilder needs to get these parts. And thanks so much in advance for any ideas you might have.

Best to all of you in 2020!
Charles
63 101 Spider
66 Giulia Super

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hi Charles,

Be sure that you have the AL/EEF 07/12 R11
That starter was replaced by the AL/EEF 07/12 R14 in november 1962. That is the one you find on table 76 in the catalog , you would need other parts !

This is what I found for the AL/EEF 07/12 R11 :

set of brushes: Bosch 1 007 014 114
solenoide: Bosch 0 331 302 009
front bushing: 1 000 301 012 (for the flange, mounting)
rear bushing : 1 000 301 001 (at the end cover)

Hope this helps, maybe the numbers have changed again recently ??

Rgds, from Belgium,

Thierry

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thierry,
Thank you so much for your quick response! So, yes, I am certain mine is an R11, as I copied the data from the starter itself! My Spider was built in October 1962, so that fits exactly with your note that AR moved to the R14 in November of 1962. And again, thank you so much for the parts information that I can pass along to my rebuilder! I am so thankful for the willingness of the people on this BB to help out with such arcane information.
Cheers,
Charles

·
Registered
403 Posts
I was glad to help you.
If the Bosch source is dry, I found the brushes somewhere on the net in the US by googling the old number from the book : Bosch WSK19L14Y10 .

For the solenoid enter: Bosch magnetschalter 0331302009 on Ebay.de .
Both items are aftermarket and I'm not related with the sellers !

The bushes can be found on the Net too.

Good luck

Thierry

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
You might want to consider replacing the starter drive too,your call.I bought mine from Oklahoma starter drive inc..(they also rebuild them,or used to).This part was made in Italy by VisNova,distributed by J&N,their part number is 220-24044.I've sent them an email to see if they will sell direct to the public.Also asked them about the solenoid,we'll see what,if anything happens.Regards,Phil

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, thanks for the additional data, Phil, and for the great photos, too! I really appreciate it. I will let you know how this all plays out...
Best,
Charles

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hi Charles and Phil,

Fwiw, the number on the black solenoid on Phil's picture is SHSM24L11Z but the box shows 0 331 302 009 .
Could there have been a kind of change in boxes or in parts?

I don't know what's the real difference between the solenoid of the R11 and the R14. When comparing the two solenoids on table 75 and 76, some little differences can be noticed. When it is only about the connection for the wires, then it wouldn't be a problem I guess.
So maybe they are both perfectly compatible but fact is that they did receive another number from Bosch. Just wanted to let you know.
Maybe Phil knows more about the importance of the changes that were made.

Here again the references for both the solenoids from Bosch:
for the R 11 > SHSM24L9Z > 0 331 302 009
for the R14 > SHSM24L11Z > 0 331 302 011

Cheers,

Thierry

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Thierry,Bosch numbers are too confusing for me to be of much help.I do know that many of their parts carry different numbers,but are interchangeable.I think that this is the case here.The black solenoid came off of my Bosch AL/EEF 0.7/12 R11.The solenoid was working fine,but the starter drive was bad so I rebuilt the starter and replaced everything with new parts,including the new in box 0 331 302 009 solenoid.Here's a picture of a used R11 starter just the way I got it,with the later numbered solenoid,so I'm confident about these solenoids interchanging. Charles,If your rebuilder finds out your starter needs field coils,I have an extra set.Again,try Oklahoma S&D,I'd bet they can help with parts other than the drive.Regards,Phil

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hi Phil,

That's good to know, so we have two numbers for the solenoid that would match on the R11 and on the R14.

Thanks,

Thierry

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Phil and Thierry,
Thanks much to both of you, the rebuilder now has the data you all have provided me, so we will see how this goes. Phil, thanks for the source at Oklahoma starter drive, I'll be sure my rebuilder tries them if his usual sources come up empty. I so appreciate you guys giving such attention to my problem!
Cheers,
Charles

1 - 10 of 10 Posts