Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a kit car and it is missing its starter motor.
The ring gear is 131 tooth therefore I believe I need s 9 tooth Starter Pinion, what I am after, if someone has one, is a used, unwanted 9 tooth so that I can check that is what fits. I don't want to buy a new starter then find its wrong

Thanks, Charles
01223 290466, Cambridge

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I have recently purchased a kit car and it is missing its starter motor.
The ring gear is 131 tooth therefore I believe I need s 9 tooth Starter Pinion, what I am after, if someone has one, is a used, unwanted 9 tooth so that I can check that is what fits. I don't want to buy a new starter then find its wrong

Thanks, Charles
01223 290466, Cambridge

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Charles,
Not enough info I am afraid. Size of engine and number of starter mounting bolts all have a part to play in getting the right starter. Is it a Giulietta engine anyway? There are clues in the engine number and casting marks on the engine itself if you are unsure.
Stuart

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Charles,
Not enough info I am afraid. Size of engine and number of starter mounting bolts all have a part to play in getting the right starter. Is it a Giulietta engine anyway? There are clues in the engine number and casting marks on the engine itself if you are unsure.
Stuart
I'm afraid I cannot help there because the engine is a British Anzani 1926 that had had a flywheel and a 131 toorh ring gear fitted onto the back. As far as fitting the starter I will have to create/machine a method of fitting. I am not even sure that the ring gear is Alfa but 131 tooth is rear.
The speedo I will fit must be iclockwise direction turning
Thanks
Charled

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Chuck... If you have a 131 tooth ring gear and the spacer between the engine and bell housing is correct.. it is much easier to just find a BIG Bosch starter 1.1 HP that is compatible with this combination .. It was the second generation starter on 2L's from like '75-76? with the bracket that fit onto the motor mount .. Bosch # 0 001 311 110..1.1HP . They were superceded later on from like 1986.. The early starter ..7HP ..with have the 9 teeth but the drives aren't interchangeable

·
Richard Jemison
7,377 Posts
The smaller lightweight Alfa starter used from 1986-1989 is the best due to power & weight for the 131 tooth ringgear fitment. Bosch # 0 001 108 024. .
They are 8 tooth FYI

1 - 7 of 7 Posts