Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently replaced my starter for the second time. Before replacing it, the starter would turn but grind (the bell housing had broken). Post replacement the starter will not turn. I believe i have it wired correctly, my dash and fuel pump are both getting power, but the starter will not turn. I notice that a small cylinder (looks like some sort of solenoid) very close to my starter has no wire attached where one definitely could be.I believe this cylinder is my cold start solenoid. If that is the case could that be my problem, and where should I wire it to? If not, do you have any ideas on what my problem could be?

-----
Edit one, I can provide any necessary diagrams if you need help understanding my problem

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
The red/black strip wire should go on the oil pressure gauge sensor. It is located just above the starter and is screwed into the engine block. The male spade terminal on the starter solenoid should get a black wire (coming from terminal #50 on the ignition switch).

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
I notice that a small cylinder (looks like some sort of solenoid) very close to my starter has no wire attached where one definitely could be.I believe this cylinder is my cold start solenoid
That will be the oil pressure sender, screwed into the engine block. That, as Jim says, is where the red/black wire should be connected to.
looks like this

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,617 Posts
Thanks a million guys. Im back on the road!!
You know (just as a friendly hint) for $999,980.00 less you can become a subscriber ($20/yr for the mathematically challenged...). That helps keep this place alive and seems well worth the investment.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
*cue anouncer voice over*
Like Eric said folks, for just one small annual payment you can enjoy all the information you can absorb and then some many times over with no limit. Occasionally there's even amusement for the kiddies and grandpa.
So come on down, you could be the next participant in the price is right.
(no association with any game show or pet sterilization program, televised or otherwise)
*cut voiceover*

·
Administrator
17,617 Posts
And if you send BB member Papajam a PM (click on his username and select send a private message) with a request for a copy of his color-coded wire diagrams for your model Spider he'll send you some .pdf files that will make chasing Alfa electrons much easier (include your email address in the request).

He doesn't charge any money but everyone who has them agrees they are priceless...

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I recently replaced my starter for the second time. Before replacing it, the starter would turn but grind (the bell housing had broken).
Make sure you have a shoulder bolt in the middle position of the three starter bolts. Something caused your bellhousing to crack and if its not there, thats a good reason.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My three bolts match. Do you mean that the middle should be a specific bolt different from the rest? If so I will fix it asap as I have lost two starters in 3 years.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts