Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I recently swapped out my 20 year old bosch starter and put in a reconditioned Marelli. It starts the engine ok but sounds like a formula one starter with a very loud squealing noise when I turn the key. I put the shoulder bolt in the correct hole (it only fits in the middle hole) and can't think of another cause.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Many Thanks,
Mark
Car is a 1979 US version Alfa Spider 2000.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Presuming you put the shim plate in there, then wrong size starter?

On later spiders there's two that will fit, but only one that will work depending on model year.

Physically one is much larger than the other and requires the support brace while the other does not.

Even though most parts counters will say they will interchange, I can definitely confirm that while they may bolt up, they definitely do not interchange.

Usually the first clue you have is it sounding like an F1 starter.........

Still in all, if you've got an old starter, it's much cheaper to have yours reconditioned at an authorized Bosch shop than it is to buy a rebuilt one or a new replacement. (like by 1/2 or more cheaper as they only charge what it cost to rebuild a Bosch starter, not what it costs to rebuild an Alfa Romeo starter that happens to be a Bosch)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Service Bulletin Group 05 #02 - Starter sizes

Many Thanks

Looks like the cause could be either the ring gear diameter or a different flywheel. As in (sorry for starting a new thread on this known problem!):

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/2285-rebuilt-starter-woes.html
"The ring gear on the flywheel changed with the '75 models. It went from 130 teeth to 131, or vice versa, I don't know which. At any rate the early 2L starter was a .7hp while the 75-85 models had a 1.1hp starter. They are NOT interchangable, despite what some people may tell you. I believe one has an 8 tooth pinion and the other a 9 tooth pinion. But evidently according to ARI Service Bulletin Group 05 #02, the real problem is the diameter of the ring gear and the fact that it puts the axis about half a cm farther out."

My parts suppliers don't seem to know of this problem so "buyer beware" and it's a tricky part to access.
To be sure I get the right starter this time - does anyone know where I can get a copy of this Service Bulletin.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts