Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I can't find my original post on the subject asking for tips on the procedure. The returns suggested removing the rear exh. manifold to gain the room. I took it to a place in St Charles, Il and they removed the half shaft and a motor mount to do it. 3 hours labor and they found a bad bearing on the shaft and replaced that as well. Excelent service and reasonablr rates. Komet Motorsports if anyone is interested.
Conrad

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Conrad,

I -thought- about the motor mount, too, but decided that I'd have to raise the engine too much to be happy doing it. It turned out that the starter/solenoid combination comes out w/o removing the heat shield or exhaust manifold if you rotate the starter along the motor axis to get the solenoid on the bottom before sliding the unit toward the motor mount location. Tip the "free" end of the starter upward, and the mounting flange will come down through the maze amazingly easily. Or it did so in our case, and it was similarly easy to install the replacement starter by the reverse process.

Link to the thread where I discussed this (for future searches, if nothing else):
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/129756-10-hours.html
Of course, with the car on blocks and me on my back, it took me an hour and a half to get to the "ready to pull starter" part and a similar amount of "button-up" time. Add in the time for grubbing around for information and tools, and I didn't come up -that- much short of Richard2's "10 hrs" duration as measured by the clock. But I'm no longer intimidated by starter R&R on a 12V 164.

Your pointer to Komet Motorsports in St. Charles, Ill., will be a lifesaver to someone up there, I'm sure. If I were close enough, I'd seriously consider hiring that job out even now. But because, as my wife puts it, I'm a cheapie, I'd have to be short of time to be happy about it. But the older I get, the shorter of time I am.

Michael

1 - 2 of 2 Posts