Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help. I'm having trouble with the starter on my 2000GTV. Approxemately 25% of the time it fails to turn the engine over. As the key is turned I can hear the solenoid click but it does not turn the engine over. When this happens I can get it to start by reaching down to the starter and pushing the end of the solenoid plunger to engage the pinion. I can feel that the pinion is not meshing with the ring gear to start with and if I push the plunger hard enough it will move further and mesh. After this the starter will work fine with no grinding.
So from what I can make out the issue is with the mesh of the starter to the ring gear. I have checked the electics with a multimeter and everything is working as it should. I have the fitted bolt in the middle of the 3 mounting holes and the metal shim is in place. The starter is a Paris-Rhone unit. The solenoid was replaced about 8 years ago. I have had the starter out several times and it bench tests fine. The level mechanism that pushes the pinion into position has some length adjustment but I do not know how it should be set up.
What have I missed? I am getting good at the work around but having to open the bonnet to start the car is starting to wear thin.:confused:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sounds to me like the starter solenoid is activating the main contacts, but they have surface corrosion which is preventing sufficient current getting to the starter itself. The starter should kick violently when the solenoid fires and this helps throw out the pinion.

·
Super Moderator
11,374 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds to me like the starter solenoid is activating the main contacts, but they have surface corrosion which is preventing sufficient current getting to the starter itself. The starter should kick violently when the solenoid fires and this helps throw out the pinion.
I don't think the solenoid is moving in far enough to activate the main contacts which put the current through to the motor. When it fails to start, I have to push quite hard on the solenoid plunger before I can feel it move all the way in.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Paris-Rhone Starter$$%$&%^^&(

Hi
Don't even bother working with the Paris- Rhone starter!!!!! The P-R was only used for 1-2 years and was a piece of junk. I can't believe that it's still in your car. We started taking those out in the late 70's. One car almost burned to the ground when a gas station tried to jump it with a large booster pack. Take the advise from above. Get a Bosch starter of some sort. The best one is the mid 80's Sider lightweight one. Otherwise, the big 1.1 HP with it's extra brace.
KG
Alfas Unlimited

·
Premium Member
16,263 Posts
My first Alfa, a 65 Giulia Sprint GT had the same problem. It was the Bosch starter solenoid which would wear the shaft and then hang up, not moving all the way when the key was turned. Had to change several of those through the years. I used to carry a couple of sticks, one to hold the key in the start position, and one to rap on the starter itself to get it to engage, then run back to release the key. A pain. Never did come up with what I thought was a reliable starter solenoid in the decade I owned the car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That would explain why there is so little information on the Paris Rhone starter on the BB or the web in general. I won't spend any hard earned cash on servicing the current starter and try to track down a bosch one locally here in New Zealand. I would expect the freight to be quite a lot to get something as heavy as a starter motor.
I the mean time have I missed anything obvious to get the current starter working?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts