Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Problem with starter, works fine when car is cold, but after driving awhile starter will not turn over, not even a click from solenoid. Battery and alternator are good and so are the grounds.
Starter was rebuilt not long ago but did not fix problem.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the lack of info. i'm a new member and I have tried posting this thread? six times with no success. Each time with less info. Anyways it a'83 Spider. Like I mentioned earlier everything seems fine when cold. After driving a while the fuel pump starts to buzz and if I try to restart the car the starter will not turn over.

·
Administrator
16,661 Posts
Here's a link to someone with the opposite problem: His car will sometmes not start when cold but it's been fine when warm... Anyway, the advice about things to check still applies.

Re: fuel pumps 'buzzing' - this happens as you are driving along? Might it be one of the relays behind the passenger seat (next to the FI computer)?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for response ghnl

I know the relay you're refering to and I suppose that could be it. I was told relays either work or they don't(no in between),however I don't know how reliable this info.is. any Idea how to check, my bosch manual says to check for voltage, but does not say which terninals, and don't recall coming accross any checks in the Alfa manual.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Spike,

Longer story than it needs to be be, but my GTV6 started having starter issues, so I put a new starter on it, the problem was still there, sometimes when I turned the key, I got nothing, so I put a new switch in it, problem solved. When I got my spider, it started having starter issues, so I put a new switch in it, but the problem was still there, same as yours, it would start cold, but once warm, nothing when you turned the key, so next was a new starter, but the probelm was still there, so I installed a starter relay, took about 20 mins, looks factory, and no more issues, let me know if you want the details.

Sam

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've got the same problems

86 Quad, 101m miles. Have read all the threads and tightened,cleaned all the connections. Before I pull the starter and get it rebuilt, I'd like to see if adding a relay solves the problem. It would be a heck of a lot easier! I've installed relays for driving lights (on other vehicles) but never an ignition switch. What goes where?
thanks
Phil C

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Relay Pics

Phil,

It is pretty easy, here are some pics and some instructions;

On a normal Bosch style Relay, pin 30 (the yellow wire in the first picture) needs to go to a 12v source, best place on ours in the junction box by the brake MC in the second picture. I ran a black wire from the box, with the harness under the cowl and to the relay which I mounted by the other two factory relays next to the washer pump bottle. The black wire connects to the yellow wire of pig tail, but you can't see that in the picture. Then pin 87 goes to the starter solenoid, this is the red wire in the first picture, you want to unplug the black wire from the solenoid (which comes from the ignition switch) and plug in this new wire. This connection provides 12v right from the junction box to the solenoid when ever the relay is triggered. To trigger the relay, take the wire you unplugged from the solenoid and connect it to pin 85, in the first picture, I have a white connector used to connect the black wire to the brown wire, this way it is reversible if it ever needs to be. The final wire is the ground for the ignition switch trigger on the relay, this is the black wire and it goes to pin 86 on the relay. I used one of the screws for the oil vapor can as the ground, you can see this in the third picture, also you see this new relay mounted right next to the two factory ones, so no one will be able to pick it out with out knowing what they are look at. Now, when you turn the ign key, all that has to do is switch the relay, which takes much less juice than the solenoid, and the solenoid gets 12v right from the battery (source) so a weak switch or weak wires will still get the starter to spin.

I hope this helps!

Sam

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thanks Sam!

That's EXACTLY what I was looking for. I've got a box of Bosch relays and a drawer full of connectors so it should be a breeze. Hopefully, it will fix the problem- it's no fun being out with the wife when the "click" happens:D

Phil

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I have had this very symptom before and after removing the starter probably at least 10 times and bench testing it, replacing the solenoid etc, what eventually fixed it was running an extra ground wire from the solenoid.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Hey Sam-
I finally got around to installing the starter relay. Your help from Oct 2007 was invaluable. So far- so good!
Thanks a ton for your help!!!
Phil C

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Hey, Glad it worked out, hopefully it will be trouble free from now on!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
78 spider.. motor mounts replaced , now starter intermitently works, what should I check .. have power to the starter. How can I test the silonoid to see if its getting power from the ingition switch. Some one with at diagram would be a awesome help!
Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
You're saying the starter worked fine before you changed the motor mounts, but not afterward? Any chance you stressed a wire in raising the engine enough to get the job done, or the ground strap (in which case your throttle cable would be getting mighty warm), breaking it just enough that it makes intermittent contact?

When it doesn't work, are you at least getting a click or noise of any sort, or just silence?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Bob,
When I turn the key , I here a click on the drivers side but not at the starter. I checked the wires and actually changed some contacts. Also my oil pressure guage is not working either and it worked prior. I was thinking of buying a remote starter switch to see if I could rule out anythng that way. The car will start up 1st time if it does turn over. It such a nice weekend I am racking my brain think it could be something simple I am not seeing.
Thanks for your reply and insite

Paul

·
Registered
8 Posts
The starts right up when left over night.. I am not getting any power to the oil pressure guage at the engine.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Have you checked the engine ground strap? if its loose you will get intermittents....

It is a 20mm wide by 1 mm thick bradded copper that runs from the bell housing to a stud in the tunnel near the firewall on the right side (intake).

Robert

·
Administrator
16,661 Posts
BB member Papajam is the miracle worker of Alfa wiring diagrams. Send him a PM, ask for a copy of the wire diagram for your model Spider, include your email address and prepare to be wowed. He'll send as an attachment a pdf file with a color coded wire diagram. It will make chasing Alfa electrons much easier.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts