Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Starter for 1750 - How Different?

2K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  1750s 
#1 ·
I had the starter from my 69 GTV repaired and have reinstalled the starter. The pinion gear will not engage the ring on the flywheel. The starter spins and the solenoid actuates the pinion gear. I have removed the starter and tested it out of the car to confirm operation. Battery voltage is 12.5.

Is there a different drive end for a 1750 starter and could the repair shop have returned to me the incorrect one?

#4 ·
Your thought on insufficient voltage to the starter when installed is a good one. Cleaning and tightening all related cables should eliminate this as a possible cause.
Two other things come to mind. One is that the sprag clutch in the starter drive may be no good. If this clutch is bad, the drive will engage the ring gear and the starter will spin but the engine won't turn.
The other thought is mis-alignment of the starter. Of the three starter bolts, the center bolt is a special shoulder bolt. If this bolt is missing or is installed in the wrong location, starter mis-alignment may occur.

#5 ·
I think I will reinstall the starter and check voltage at the major terminal while also cleaning/tightening connections. When bench testing, the clutch seems strong so I don't suspect this item. It does not seem to be a way to test it and the starter was just overhauled by a good shop.

#6 ·
Update... before reinstalling I called the repair shop and asked if they had checked the starter under load to confirm a good clutch. They had me bring it back to check and discovered the clutch was fine but the rotation direction was incorrect - they had replaced the field coils and installed incorrectly. This I had not given any thought to when bench testing at home. They will repair correctly and I should be good to install the starter one last time.

#9 ·
Clockwise rotation starter update... I picked up the starter after their rework of the field coils to correct rotational direction and installed in the GTV. Instantly started and ready to go. The tech at the auto electric shop said this was the only Bosch starter with clockwise rotation (so the engine in cranked counterclockwise). Not sure how accurate he was but seemed to be very competent. Anyone on the BB know more about this now that my curiosity is raised? Thanks to Papajam for his input.

Russ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.