Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
OK, i'v got it. The transmission that I plan to use does not have the rods sticking out(came out of a 1974 Spider), so I should use the bell housing without the hole. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
33 Posts
flipping ring gear

Glad I read this post. Gordon is probably correct and only the square cut ring gears can be safely reversed. I got away with it years ago on my Giulietta spider that had beveled teeth on the RG when I could not afford new parts. We have sold a lot of flywheel kits and have not had any backlash. With that good fortune, it is a good time to correct our recommendation. We are always open to customer and expert feedback on our products. Thanks, Gordon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clutch replacement 1975 Spider

Hi, I'm Tony owner of Rallye Coach Works we do Auto Body collision and restoration on mostly imports. We don't normally do much mechanical work clutch replacement being one of them. But here I am putting a clutch in a Spider. Is there anything that I should be aware of that is not normal with a clutch job. I have the trans and fly wheel removed. The fly wheel we sent out to be refaced.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Be sure the machine shop refaces the pressure plate mounting surface the same amount as the friction surface. Also, buy a Sachs original clutch kit instead of the cheaper Valo.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Here is further clarification of what Ed just wrote. With the transmission in "N", if you have three shift rods poking out the back of the box, you MUST use the bellhousing with the hole to fit all three. In "N" these rods will all poke out the same amount. On later transmissions, this feature was changed, and the rods will be blocked by the casting. Using the later housing with the earlier box will not work.
In the pictures below, note the three rods through the hole by the back up switch. In "R", the reverse rod will move further out, activating the switch.
I am rebuilding a 101 spitcase transmission, and I do not have the reverse switch. I do have one from a 105 hydraulic transmission (early type with rods sticking into clutch area). However, if I install that switch in the 101 bell housing, it is not in line with the 5-R rod. Any thoughts how to solve this? Fabricate bracket? Source correct switch?

·
Super Moderator
11,341 Posts
Either a SOLID alternate bracket or the original type switch are the best solutions. I had some difficulty recently sourcing the original switch, but they are out there in the USA. If you send me a PM, I'll give you some possible US sources.

·
Banned
705 Posts
I have a (new to me) 67 Super with a 2L Spica engine, and I'm trying to get my head around the potential starter/ring gear/transmission/bellhousing combinations.

Can someone confirm if the following is correct?

1. 2L engine -> 6 bolt crank

2. 6 bolt crank -> either 130 or 131 ring gear (must use proper (different) starter for either)

3. Early and late 2L bellhousings are a possibility, and must be matched with the right transmission.

All true?

Can the either bellhousing/transmission be used with either the 130 or 131 ring gear?

Are the 2L flywheels all the same (only difference is the ring gear)?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts