Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAD A INTERMITTENT NO START.When I checked it out I 2 starter bolts missing and one loose.One of the missing bolts held the ground stratrap to the starter.I don`t oknw how many of you guys ever gad to do starter bolth but they are a muther.Could only get 2 bolts in but that should do.Also reconnected the ground strap.Ikinda wish I had my wifes tiny hands.If I ever remove the fuel injection I will put in the missing bolt.But for now good
s I might of been able to get the last bolt in.

·
Premium Member
14,023 Posts
The middle starter bolt is a special shouldered type that controls the mesh between the starter pinion and the ring gear. You must use it. Do not run with only two bolts.
The ground strap does not have to be on a starter bolt and it is more usually attached to a transmission or bell housing bolt.

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
eventually it'll work itself out of alignment and start chewing your flywheel ring gear
it really does need all 3 bolts, and the middle one has to be the shoulder bolt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 1 bolt that was left was the shouldered bolt.I replaced the 2 other bolts with 5/16 fine thread with locknuts.Was a mechanic for 40 years!installed many starters.this one won’t come loose.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh well only .010 differance between 8mm and 5/16.On a hardened bolt no differance.I have been wrenching on everything since the 60`s.Forklifts,cars Harleys,and boats.I have a good stock of grade 8 bolts.They will work.If it comes loose again I will kiss your ***.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
also did field service 40 yrs know how to make things work in a pinch.don`t think 2 bolts will ever make a difference.HOW MANY YEARS WERE YOU A MECHANIC.

·
Premium Member
14,023 Posts
I'm sure it will now run like a Deere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts