Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: Morning commute in the 164 and the dreaded thing happened. I was about 5-6 car lengths behind a Yukon/Suburban SUV and BAM. I drove on in to work and am having a glass company repair it here at work before I'm buying a $1000+ windshield. Wish me luck that it doesn't spread. :eek:
Charles

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
put a piece of tape on it PRONTO

Do not clean it, dont use your wipers-- just put a piece of scotch tape over the hole to seal it until the guy comes out

·
Registered
521 Posts
Smart to get it done quickly. The longer you wait, the less effective job they can do.

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
I've had the windshields fixed on various Alfas I've owned through the years. For some reason, the 78 sedan required at least half a dozen, maybe eight, of the "Novus" epoxy fixes. Thin glass I guess. Once, I ended up with a big star right in front of the driver's eyes on my 91S at the start of a long drive from Seattle to Wisconsin and back. Talk about heartburn for the entire trip. What was worse, because of the eyeball parallax (?), you saw two stars, not just one. Luckily, the insurance company replaced that windshield instead of fixing it because it was right in front of the driver instead of elsewhere.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, good news for me, the work did not crack it more. ;) He told me that a few times the windshield has cracked as soon as he put the vacuum on it. What a relief that didn't happen. It's not an invisible repair, but that's OK as long as it doesn't spread. It's located just to the passenger side of the middle (by 4 inches or so) right in the middle from top to bottom, so not something right in front of me. Unfortunately my windshield is getting cloudy at the bottom at both bottom corners. I guess it's getting air in, in between the laminates. I'm going to run it as long as I can (the whole car). ;)
Charles

1 - 5 of 5 Posts