Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Friends:
trying to restore a wonderful Stanguellini FJ derivata Fiat. Do anyone have an idea on which Fiat the Formula Junior for 1960 is based on? Is there a parts catalog? or a parts equivalents book?

Thanks

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Dear Friends:
trying to restore a wonderful Stanguellini FJ derivata Fiat. Do anyone have an idea on which Fiat the Formula Junior for 1960 is based on? Is there a parts catalog? or a parts equivalents book?

Thanks
Contact Stanguellini directly.

The motor is FIAT 1100/103 with Stanguellini modifications. The chassis is Stanguellini built, using some FIAT compnents.

stanguellini

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Stanguellini FJ

Hello Cross3milo,

Not all Stanguellini FJ were the same so it may be important to know which car you have and its history in order to give a meaningful reply. Many were modified in important and significant ways that perhaps should be preserved during a restoration? At a minimum, those details should be recorded for posterity and for what they may reveal about the car's history. A restoration will entail many decisions that should probably be based upon your intended use ... along with keeping in mind the origins of your specific car if that is important to you. Some performance mods will make the car more fragile and expensive to maintain but perhaps competitive if racing is your goal.

Not all parts came from the same model Fiat. It is not as simple as going and finding a specific "1958" Fiat (or some other) to have as a donor vehicle. Only some parts will apply. Other parts were specifically chosen from various Fiat models that came before. Some parts were not "Fiat" at all. But, the formula was intended to furnish budding drivers with an inexpensive medium for getting into real open-wheel racing, so anytime you start to spend too much time and money on any individual part, you might tend to think that perhaps the spirit of the concept of the class is perhaps at risk?

A look at the FJ rules and how they changed might be in order? Early FJ rules required that certain major elements (engine & gearbox in particular) come from an homologated "Turismo" car which we might term "Production". Other parts (suspension & brakes) were supposed to be of the same concept as the car that supplied the engine. Early on, such features as "drum brakes" were forced on Juniors that had engines that came from cars that originally had drum brakes. Later (1960 or 1961 as I recall?), this rule was relaxed and it became OK to use disc brakes on any Junior.

If you will share what you know of your car, either publicly or privately, I may be able to tell you a bit more and help with additional research possibilities. A listing of similar cars will be shared with you in return if you supply me with your email address. I have a lot going right now so you may have to wait a few days for a reply from me. Please be patient and we will learn a few things ... I hope.

Best of luck in any case.

John de Boer
The Italian Car Registry

iicar AT eartlink.net

1 - 3 of 3 Posts