Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of restoring my '74 GTV and I'm wondering about the caulking that Alfa used under the stainless steel trim around the doors and rear quarter windows. When I pulled mine off there was two types- one black which easily wiped off with paint thinner or kerosene and the other type- a greyish gooey bead that came off with a little (lot) more elbow grease. Maybe someone squirted some of this goop on at a later date, but my question is "Is there supposed to be a sealant under the trim and if there is, what is it and where can I buy some?" Thanks, daveydog.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I use a product called 'duct seal'. Available at the hardware store. Comes in a block/brick and I break off a chunk and roll it in my hands to the desired thickness (no kidding!). Place it under the trim before installing it and wipe any away that oozes out.
Seems to stay soft and sticky for a long time, like the original stuff.

·
Registered
936 Posts
i used 3M Strip Caulk on mine. they are strips of sticky sealant, that never dries - kind of like petroleum licorice sticks. picked up a box at the local auto paint supply place. wear latex gloves, or your fingers will get all black and sticky !

BUT, i discovered that they are too thick to use for the pieces that hold the rubber door seals. the Strip Caulking pushed the seal's channels away from the door frame too far, causing the door to not close properly. i had to take it all apart, solvent away the Strip Caulking, and re-attach using small beads of black silicone instead.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, that caulking can be a real pain! I don't know how long it's taken me to get all of it off from around the door seals and the window trim but it's got to be hours and hours! First using a putty knife for the long thick strips and then plenty of rags and solvent and rubbing to get off the remainder. I guess just regular household door and window caulking is too easy of a solution?

·
Registered
508 Posts
The caulking you refer to is also known as Dam-dam. 3M still produces it, the one Dion is referring to. This stuff was very popular in the 70's and 80's. I believe that this is much lesser used nowadays because silicone kit has become popular now. If you use silicone kit, make sure it is of an acid-free type. Many of the kits sold for household purposes contain acid.

A simple way of removing residues of dam dam is by first softening it with a hair dryer and then using a sharp object, like a knife. it'll go off like butter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts