Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I was wondering if anyone has used braided Stainless Steel hose with the rubber under the metal. I'm looking to replace some of my hose, but I was trying to find an alternative to slicon. Thanks...

·
Registered
142 Posts
I got mine from Summit Racing Equipment, and used the Spectre hose end clamps, Its just a matter of measuring the OD of the fitting, or the ID of the oringinal hose ( a 16th either way can be corrected with the clamps and still be tight... might not be proper, but it works)and I had the correct fittings installed for the inline fuel filter, (a reuseable Summit unit ) I'll look up the sizes and post here soon

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
If you're after a look rather than actual factual SS heavy duty hoses, spectre, mr. gasket, and several other parts places sell SS or alumninum sleeves that slip over rubber hoses. (sort of like a Chinese finger trap, then you put the spiffy anodized clamp things on to retain it. Looks just like a 70$ SS radiator hose when its done, but cost closer to $40 for a whole engine kit)

There also used to be a product called nylabraid, which was a nylon sleeve built the same way, used the same clamps, and could be had in a rainbow of different colors.

Done properly, the SS and nylabraid sleeves will improve the burst strength of rubber hoses a bit, as it does compress down on them to a degree and acts like a wrapped on extra layer.

·
Registered
142 Posts
the only problem with the sleeves is they are a PIA to install and get a tight fit,( the sleeve likes to catch on the hose ends) and if its loose it looks like crap. I have some on the car I haven't converted to SS yet.
Right now I'm in Alaska on vacation, When I get back I'll take pics of engine and post here.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Finally!

I'm Back from Alaska, unfortunately no Alfa sightings, say plenty of BMWs, Corvettes and MB's and 2 Porsche's ( 1 911 dead in the turn lane and a "bathtub Porsche" ( forget model #)that I was stuck behind going down US 1 in Anchorage. Sorry it took so long to post these pics, my kids crashed the computer while I was gone.
The fuel lines are braided steel, the upper radiator hose is the slip on style, as is the brake booster hose. Got any questions let me know

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts