Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know where to get a set of stainless brake lines?
My brother got a set for $70 for his VW Corrado VR6.
What a difference!
I must have a set for my spider.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I've tried for ages to get these, with no luck. You might have to get them custom made.

Goodridge don't do them, neither do Brembo

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Are you talking about the three flexible brake hoses or the hard metal brakelines?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The centerline ones are just what I was looking for.
But they have a warning that they're not DOT approved.
This raises another question...
Is the DOT stamp of approval needed for a street machine?
Are they good enough?
What are the legal or safety implications?

·
Supporting Vendor
4,423 Posts
Here is the issue with stainless steel lines:

They are made from an inner rubber sleeve with an outer lining of stainless steel mesh. The stainless steel mesh doesn't flex - that's why they offer improved braking feel. However, dust can get inside the stainless steel mesh and abraid the rubber inner coating. Since it is inside, the damage can't be detected, unlike rubber lines which are easy to inspect.

That said, I have them on both of my cars and I think they offer a noticeable improvement.

Joe

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I have the NEUSPEED one on my VW 2, I won't say it makes the braking better/stronger, but it definitely get some feedback back from those ABS brakes.
I remember those new NEUSPEEDD have another coating on top of the wire mesh to make it more "dust" proof. (At first I thought they just try to make it look "cooler")

The Centerline one looks like a pretty good deal too at around $90. Anyone have a better picture of them?

How hard is it to put it on? I'm going to flush the whole brake system soon.

I screwed up the VW one (weird size sockets) and ended up towing my car to an auto shop. :D

THX

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
A few searches yielded stainless brake LINE available from McMaster-Carr (they call it the non-automotive term of "tubing") and regular steel brake LINE from Hurtienne and Vickauto. However, Alfaholics, Alfastop, and Centerline all carry stainless brake HOSE.
JoeCab's absolutely right on the abraiding issue. That's why I took mine off and went back to the original rubber hoses. Not only are the rubber hoses half the price and last 10 times longer but you can't improve the brake feel on a properly setup standing pedal 105 anyway.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts