Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. New to the forum... and I've got a question.

My '69 just got out of the paint shop today, and the bumpers, while OK, are not up to snuff. There are a couple of dings, but I think they're salvageable.

Does anyone hereon know someone who will refurbish these bumpers ... preferably for less than the cost of "new" ones?

I'm in upstate New York, so she won't be on the road for a while, both due to weather and the twin Weber conversion I'm putting on. So, I can be without these bumpers for a few months.

Thanks in advance. I'm sure there will be more questions as the project nears completion.

Best,

JP

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just left a rear bumper for a 73 Spider at DC Bumpers in Dallas Texas. This is a large bumper reworking company. Everyone at the place that heard what I had laughed when I asked about having it redone. Their concern was the thinnest of the metal, plus it being stainless steel. They are going to work on it, but they did not think they could bring it back to new condition. They have reworked Alfa Romeo bumpers in the past, but they prefer not to. So let me know what you find out, as I have another one that needs to be redone.

Ken Chipps

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Stainless Steel only needs to be Polished

One thing that Alfa got right was using a lot of stainless steel for the exterior trim. Stainless steel can be easily worked and polished back to original by a lay person, as Papajam has indicated. If they had used chrome plated steel, it would have to be sent to a plating shop that is familiar and is willing to work on old parts. All it takes is some "elbow grease" and time and you can restore your bumpers to orginal condition.

Wishing you the best in this restoration!

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
try useing some diff.shapes of a hardwood...then rub the imperfections out..i also reinforced my freinds 'bumpers' with a thick coat of epoxy , act. a few coats to build up..this helps keep the dings from getting bigger..sort of a filler on the inside of the bumper.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool. Thanks.

If I had a "spare" bumper to practice on, I'd definitely undertake this....

Well, let me reconsider that enthusiasm. After having put 10 hours into sanding/polishing the cam cover, only to uncover more (and sometimes more gruesome) imperfections in the casting the deeper I went, I got it in good (~85%) shape and painted it with high-temp aluminum paint.

A friend on another board (Pelican) is an aircraft fab/repair guy and has offered to take a crack at it. Sight unseen, mind you, as I don't yet have pix to post, so he may amscray once he sees the bumpers. I doubt it, as I think they're mostly fine. However, if he can/will do it, and is willing to undertake others' projects as supplemental income, I'll let y'all know.

Best,

JP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts