Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many posts on starting issues none of which specifically describe the symptom I have.
The car has not been started for 9 months - it has a starter relay installed - the battery is new and healthy. Earths have been checked.
When the key is turned I get a rapid and reasonably loud clicking from the solenoid/starter.
My conclusion is the solenoid is working just fine but not able to throw the starter gear?? or maybe the starter gear is not engaging and making the noise on the edge of the ring??
Also, can anyone explain why the solenoid has 2 spade terminals but only one is used?? There is a remote chance I have connected to the wrong one (it's on the one closest to the block) but I can't find any engine bay pics that clarify this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That sound has always meant weak battery or bad connection for me. I would double check cable connections to battery and connections to starter.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Still thinking, although I am no better at that than offering help, but have you tried putting car in 4th gear and rocking it a bit and then put in neutral and try starting it.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, tried that one.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Important to check the ground strap trans bell housing to the body/frame at the clutch slave area.

This is the only way that battery negative finds its way to the starter/solenoid as the motor is on rubber insulated mounts.

Also, you may think that the battery is ok, by no load voltage check, but a weak battery voltafe drops to LOW readings at any significant electrical load. So confeirm battery voltage under cramking conditions.
Best regards, Elio

·
Super Moderator
11,943 Posts
That sound has always meant weak battery or bad connection for me. I would double check cable connections to battery and connections to starter.
Yup, I second that. That intermittant sound usually means insufficient current to the starter. Your battery voltage may test OK, but the most likely problem is that not enough current is running through the starter. Could be a bad battery, could be a poor ground or other connection. How's your engine-chassis ground strap?

mn1 said:
the solenoid has 2 spade terminals but only one is used?? There is a remote chance I have connected to the wrong one
The solenoid has 2 spade terminals. One connects to the ignition/starter switch, and provides +12 to the solenoid to turn on the starter. The other provides a signal to an accessory that needs to know when the starter is operating. An example of such an accessory is the cold start solenoid on a Spica pump. The Bosch starter solenoid is used in a wide range of cars - for many, that second terminal is just left unconnected.

You seem to be telling us that you have worked on the the solenoid wiring. If you may have mixed up the two low-current connectors, then yea, perhaps that's your problem. I'd try putting the wire on the one that's now disconnected, and see what happens. Before doing this, you should use an ohm meter to verify that that terminal isn't a direct path to ground (it probably isn't, though the resistance could be low). Or, you could try to read the markings on those terminals - though they'll probably be hard to see with the starter installed.

But, after saying all that, the first thing I would do would be to run a set of jumpers between your Alfa and a known good car.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tks guys, I have a very clear concensus - while you're all off in the land of nod I'll work through the connections, wiring and swap batteries (or jump) - I'll let you know how I go by tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Mn1, youve given yourself away with the "staccato" inference. You are a musician. Now, what instrument do you play (hmmmmmm) accordion? piano?

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What would I do without you guys? Battery issue. All good. Tks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts