Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.
Wow check out ebay now there seems to be a SSZ 10121 in Vages ! any one ever seen this car? I am off to my Fusi book to see if its real.
Enjoy

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it a tom Z car

I am pretty sure it is not. I have seen toms cars and there not like stock cars in side.
I also looked in the Fusi book and the #s show it to be a 64 not a 65 and there is no such SSZ, The #s on the car are correct for a regulare SS , Not SSZ. I think this was somewhat costomized at one time. I might add thay did a nice job.
I think the seller is a tippical car seller! He is full of it all over the add. That car came with 4 wheel disk brakes,ect ect ect.
I am getting realy dissalutioned with some High end car sellers. Thay are full of it. Down your way there is a Big seller we all know there big red transports at the races, any way thay Misrepersented a Sprint to me . Another dealer is trying to sell a GTV/A copy as wounderful and all like under10K and ready to go. Never hit ect. its still got a bump on the rear wheel well thay just painted over it. almost nothing fits and nothing works in the wiring is a mess, the car Viberats. Jezzz. I getting mad.
PS there is a Honest and good seller up here and I missed getting a nice JrZ for 16,000. it was on ebay last OCT. Light blue.
There are Fantasy Junction. I do Highly recomend them, but there cars are over my $ limits most of the time.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hi guys,

@psb, you will never find this car in the Fusi!

Not that the Fusi is not complete or correct, but this car here is no longer an original Alfa. Nothing fits together in the description.

The body is from the 1960 Giulietta Sprint Speciale "low nose" - I think your Fusi will show this car;)

In official Alfa Romeo abbreviations the "Z" always stands for the designer Zagato - and this "SSZ" here has obviously a Bertone body. :confused:

So some of the data seem to be confusing. Who is looking for a correct Giulietta SS will not be satisfied with this car.

If you don't mind customized cars, it may bring some fun.

Ciao Carlo

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
SSZ

This is a Tom Zat car. He took Sprint Speciale's and modified them to get his ideas for his SSZ cars. I dunno how many he did but I can tell you it looks just like the one he is standing next to in my Alfa Romeo Buyers Guide.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I agree...

That is a Zatmobile. Go grab the Alfas Owner Bible and look at the photo of Tom Zat standing next to one of his.

Or look here:

Zatmobile

I posted the question to the Digest and the prevailing opinion is that is it most likely a Zatmobile.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Ok so it's definately the Tom Zat one-off prototype he created out of an SS before his SSZs.

Pretty cool if you ask me.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,415 Posts
Damian,

Tom Zat butchered (or enhanced, depending on your POV) quite a few real Sprint Speciales before he began producing the SSZ road cars.

So, while it may be a "Zatmobile", it is not a one-off!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Ahhh...I was unaware not he made a few of them before the SSZs. My bad. For some reason it was my understanding that he made one of this particular car then started on the SSZs.

Thanks for setting me straight. :)

In anycase, there are pretty sweet rides.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,415 Posts
IMO, while the Zatmobiles are fairly handsome cars, the "art deco" details he deleted off the original SS are really important to the design.

I got a chance to drive a pristine, original Giulia SS con brio last weekend (the green one in the photo). It is not an experience I will forget.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi joecab
Never seen two SS's in the same picture!!! I've been looking for one for a long time...Was this some sort of SS convention?
Do you know if any of these (or other cars) are for sale?

Regards

berj

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
carlo said:

In official Alfa Romeo abbreviations the "Z" always stands for the designer Zagato - and this "SSZ" here has obviously a Bertone body. :confused:

So for this SSZ, the "Z" must stand for ZAT, eh? :D

·
Supporting Vendor
4,415 Posts
Both cars are definitely NOT for sale.

The red car is a Giulietta (1300) while the green car is a Giulia (1600), the 4th to the last SS to roll off the production line.

Just to make you all sick, Tom Zat once told me he sent an SS to the crusher. At the time, they weren't worth much, he couldn't get rid of it, so he crushed it.

Attachments

·
Registered
992 Posts
At the NWARC Track day last Sunday someone showed up in his blue SS. I can't remember his name...but yeah, they are gorgeous cars.

There was a very nice red one for sale a few years back at Ferrari of Seattle. That was the first one I saw up close. Never driven one though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Berj,
Did they make any right hand cars?

Go to the Giulietta Register
http://www.giulietta.com/
they have a for sale section with a number of SS, some of which should suit you. A couple of box cars and some restored.

You might try doing a search on the internet. That's how I found my car. There are a number of ss for sale, good luck.

The SS is a nice looking car, from some angles it looks a bit off but on the whole, given it's design date and aero cd, pretty cool.

Part of the beauty is the wonderfull little motor, the special 1300 veloce was only shared with the SZ . The SS was just a bit too heavy to compete.
The 1600 SS motor was the same motor throughout the Veloce model range.

Bruce

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi 120
There were a few right hand drives made and a few convesions but I'm not paticularly looking for a right hand drive car... a lefty will do me just fine.
The giulietta site is useful but unfortunately all the SS's advertised there lead to dead ends.....
I will continue to trawl the web in a vain effort to find that right car.

Thanks

berj

·
Registered
271 Posts
@ Papajam,

So for this SSZ, the "Z" must stand for ZAT, eh?
If it's a Zar-car, ok.
But then it's no Alfa Romeo anymore.:(
As I quote from their homepage: "The SSZ Stradale, a truly exotic American car."

@ JoeCab.

congratulations, must have been a rewarding drive;)
Concerning the differences between the Giulia or Giulietta SS and the "SSZ Stradale" I can only agree to you.

Ciao Carlo:cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts