Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everybody,

I am about to have my front central bumper rechromed on my 1600 SS.
Could someone tell me the easiest way to disassemble this part from the car.
The two lateral parts should of course go out to liberate the center part. But the access to the related bolts is not very easy.
I see 4 ways to unbolt them.
- disassemble the front lights and get to the bolt through the holes (limited access),
- access from above after taking out the front hood (OK for the right side but not sure to have access on the left side),
- access from the aisles after removing the protective plates and associated air ducts (longish and not easy).
- remove the heart, the two mustaches and the front grill to have access through the front aperture.
Any other trick and if not which way do you recommend ?

Many thanks in advance.

Jean-Pierre
(France)

·
Registered
312 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, since it has been many years since I removed my bumbers. I was able to get to the two nuts that hold on the bumber ends from the rear of the bumber. The tolerance is close between the body and the bumper, but I do belive you can do it. The studs are welded to a plate, so all you need to get off is the nuts. Unless, of course, some one has changed things before.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Pat for your answer.
You're right for the four bolts (two on each side) that hold the bumper ends on front of the car (together with the center blade).
But these parts are also screwed (on the other end) on each side of the aisle and the relevant bolt is only accessible front inside the engine bay (one on each side). And it is these two blots that cause problem.
But since I posted my request I managed to get them off by taking off the front hood and plunging inside the bay. A bit acrobatic but feasible.
Anyway thanks for your interest.
Cheers,

Jean-Pierre
(France)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts