Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have obtained a US-conversion from Spider Point to replace the massive rubber bumpers on our 81 Spider. I found two issues
- the front left bumper wiggles despite professional installation and the rear one shows waves.
Spider Point claims that this is quite normal and one has to accept what is available.
Does anybody know where to obtain some really straight bumpers in normal steel and chrome (preferred) odr stainless steel and how to fix the wiggle of the front bumper?

Thanks in advance HJM

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
Boy, for the price you pay for those bumpers I would certainly NOT expect wiggling and waves. My understanding is that a little tweaking is necessay for a perfect fit - I'm sure that's what they had to do at teh factory. But this sounds excessive. A number of guys have them and I'm sure will weigh in.

Here is Bill77's rear from Spider Point: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/339231-post217.html
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/342402-post225.html

I don't see any waves, do you? IMHO They should replace the rear anyway (paying for shipping both ways).

As far as the front bumper goes, I would think that would be a pretty easy fix - I assume you have everything tight. If it is in the bumper attachment point I would seriously consider returning it as well. If it is just a sloppy fit you might be able to shim with rubber, again depending on where it is. Pictures might help.

The metal bumpers only came in SS so I think you are out of luck trying to find steel (not sure why you would steel ones...). If you end up keeping the rear bumper you should be able to find a place that specializes in removing the waves in SS - get an estimate and see if Spider Point will pick up the cost (it might be cheaper than the freight).

This is the first I have heard of Spider Point being a problem. Hopefully they will stand behind the products they sell. Otherwise I would recommend that you let everyone know on the forum what you have had to deal with.
Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first shipment had to be returned since the UPS manage to damage the freight. Try to get something out of those guys .... Have fun with that task.
Spider Point replaced them and I picked up the freight - in this regard read the terms and conditions.
I have to say - all the other parts I ordered are pretty good and I like their responsiveness. But all the bumpers they had in stock had a wavy pattern.

In regards to finding a place redoing the bumpers to get the wave patterns removed, I have to admit - I have no idea where to look for a company doing this kind of work. I live just south of Cincinnati!
HJM

·
Premium Member
13,703 Posts
Highwood Alfa in the UK sell parts for Euro bumpers. I bought a pair of top blades from them earlier this year. They are perfect.
Ed Prytherch

·
Registered
4,450 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want to emphasize that Spider Point is very helpful. But right now the bumpers availabe all have more less a wavy pattern. For those of you familiar with the drawing process I need to point out that SS-steel is not easy to draw in a die! And I doubt that the companies doing this kind of limited volume production have highly sophisticated tooling.

John - could you provide me with contact information?
Thx HJM

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
PM sent.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
I agree, working with SS is not easy - but that's why you are paying top dollar. I don't want to tell you your business but I just would not accept anything less than factory original workmanship. The reality of course is that they have your money so you don't have much leverage except to relate your story here so that others are aware of what to expect. I would think the last thing they would want is bad publicity on a premier forum like this...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It can be fixed!That is all I care about. Live is to short to bend all out of shape.Shipping cost back and forth is not cheap and as I stated before - UPS is not the greatest company to deal with either if a problem arises like freight damage. Everything nowadays is driven by the bottom line and nothing else really matters!
Let's be happy that there are companies catering to the needs of ALFA enthusiast!
And keep in mind - as much as I like ALFAS - they where never perfect coming of the assembly line - but they have character!

HJM

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I would go to a chrome shop that refinishes bumpers. Those guys that the experience & equipment to do the job. When I was in Las Vegas I took a badly twisted and kinked (steel) Datsun Roadster bumper to the local chrome shop. When finished it looked & fit like new. I'll bet bumper shops also deal with stainless.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts