Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a basic question for you all...got my engine put back together from head gasket surgery and I've got a squealing serpentine belt. Happens if I engine brake/downshift or accelerate in 1st quickly.

I didn't put any sort of dressing on the belt or pulley when I put it back on...what should I use?

Is the belt perhaps too tight or too loose?

Silly questions I know but I figure you guys would have a quick answer for me. Be sure to check out my other post on what was "wrong" with my engine and how it was "fixed".

·
Alfa-Less
506 Posts
Just went through this today on my 93 Spider.

Belt dressing is not the answer. Tried it and it made it worse!
Soap helps for a short time but is a band-aid. Tried is and it worked until I tried the dressing. Washed it all off and ... well ... time for a new belt.

Is the belt new? If you used the old one and it is not installed in the same direction/orientation is was originally, it will squeal (mine did).

Sure its the serpentine and not the altenator belt?

I went for a new belt, confirmed all alignments, and tesioned it without being overly tight, and the squeal is gone.

FWIW,
Rob

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its the old one...didn't see any need to replace it since its in really good shape. I don't think its the alternator belt because I can get it to squeal by turning the AC on (belt squeals until the compressor pulley and belt catch up with each other).

Sure gets people's attention though...and not the way you'd normally want! I have a break in the rain today...I'll let you know how things go.

I might have it too tight...and I doubt anyone has that "tension" measuring device in the ALFA manual! Talk about overkill!

·
Alfa-Less
506 Posts
Alfa tool = "pull with your fingers" tool in Vermont!

Try reversing the belt orientation. Apparently older serp belts tend to seat themselves and when installed opposite to its original install, it may cause it to squeal.

Then again ... for the $30, a new belt might be a quick fix.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thunderous Silence

Believe it or not it fixed itself. Drove the car a bunch today and it squealed once when I started it, then never again. Figures eh?

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I found that cleaning the pulley faces with a good solvent and getting all the imbedded rubber off stops most squeals.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hard to replace?

I did a search on Belt Squeal and found this thread. I think I am having a similar problem. When I first start the car and give it a little gas I get a squeal and it also seems to squeal when I am driving and the RPMs get over about 4500-5000.

I have done some minor work to the car (replace TA, Replace fuel pump, replace muffler...) It usually takes me about 3-4 times as long as it should to complete these tasks, but in the end I can get it done, usually with a little help from the AlfaBB!!

My question is, how hard is it to remove the old belt?
How hard is it to install the new one?
Any special tools needed?

I will clean the pullys when I have the belt off.

Many Thanks,
Donny
78 Spider

1 - 7 of 7 Posts