Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know when you are out driving and you hear that sound from another car... and you immediately say to the other occupants, “Well, that guy should check his power steering.”?

well, that was me in my 91 Spider S4 yesterday! Not really squealing, I must say... more like screaming. When I got home I checked the reservoir... it was low, but nowhere close to empty. I did fill it back up, but didn’t think it needed bleeding.

Here’s the thing... I THINK the screaming is coming from the PS pump, but can’t be sure. Its honestly too loud inside the engine bay to pinpoint the specific location... but it seems like the PS. It’s quiet on idle, but give the engine gas and the sound is really really loud, especially up to about 3500rpm. Then, it subsides but is still audible. It sounds like it’s coming from the PS pump, and it sounds like the sound “those” cars make, but it doesn’t matter if the car is moving or stopped, turning or straight.

As far as I know, everything on the car is original, except belts, of course. 65k miles. Before I start tearing stuff down, I wanted to get some S4 advice, and triage ideas, if possible.

thanks, all,

·
Registered
421 Posts
It could be the belt, fluids could of dropped on the belt and contaminated it or it’s loose. If it has a/c, maybe the idler pulley, about $250 for a new idler pulley, they can be removed and greased though. Start with the belt, then the idler pulley.

Kevin

1993 Spider Veloce
2016 4c Coupe
2018 4c Spider

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
Bearings can squeal, but the first suspect is a slipping belt. Check tension and tighten if it feels too loose.
A quick test is to spray some water on the suspect pulley/belt(s). This should make any slipping worse and the squealing temporarily louder.
If no change, the problem is elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
Yes, my first guess would be a slipping belt, so make sure that is good and tight.

I also had a screaming power steering issue a few years ago on my S4. At idle, it was mild, but when turning she screamed.

I replaced the pump with a new one and no change.

Ended up being the power steering resevoir. There is a filter at the bottom that was clogged. The resevoir is not cleanable so I replaced the it and the problem went away.

Good luck,

Vin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts