1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Well, onto my next issue.

1991 Spider Veloce.

My belt that drives the power steering and A/C squeals like a banshee when I start her up. Keeps squealing for 10 minutes of driving or so, then, nothing.

I know its the belt because if I shoot some belt dressing it goes away immediately, but I don't like the stuff cause it gets all over everything and I shouldn't have to spray every time I start the car.

The belt is 3 years old with aound 6,000 miles on it. No cracks, still looks new.

I have tried to tighten it up as much as I could but I would like a bit more to tell the truth. Only so much leverage you can get lifting that power steering pump.

I have another belt and will replace it to see if it goes away, but I would like to ask the Alfa guru's here, why does it go away after 10 minutes of driving?

Trying to learn.

Thanks in advance.

Vin

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
It must be stiff and cold with little "traction" in the first part of start-up. Once run and warmed up, it has more grip. Like a tire.

Replace it!

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Often, when the belts were slipping they build up a glaze on the pulley surfaces.You can try roughing up the inside of the pulleys with 120 grit sandpaper. It involves some work since you have to pull the belt, but it generally works.

·
Premium Member
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
biggest pain will be removing the radiator. If its a S3, that is, may also be the same for other series(?)
No need to remove the rad in an S4.

Vin

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,058 Posts
Replace the glazed belt, clean all the pulleys with solvent and a brass brush, and reinstall to spec. If you've got a '91 with just the two mounting points for the PS pump, don't go too crazy overtightening the belt as it can flex the mounts and throw the belt.

·
Premium Member
3,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yikes!

Thanks to all for jumping in.

I replaced the belt today and no wonder it was slipping. Tons of crud in the pulley grooves!:eek:

I think the belt dressing deteriorated the belt, but what do I know. Can't see a 3 year old belt doing that on it's own.

Here are a few pictures of the old/new belt and the before/after pulley's.

Do you think notches on the old belt are correct? New one doesn't have any.

Old belt on the left, new on the right. Old belt was about a 1/2" longer as well. I think it stretched.

Thanks again,

Vin

Old and new belt
IMG_7960.jpg

A/C compressor pulley
AC compressor.jpg

Crankshaft pulley
Crankshaft pulley.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts