Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,325 Posts
hi all!

My 164 squeaks when i take a complete full turn to the right or left .
i think its from the steering rack. Or should it be because of the steering hose ( by the way, i am using a duplicate steering hose at the moment )
Need urgent help.. I am repairing my car today. so i need to finish everything as soon as possible!
Maybe lower strut bearings.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Whenever mine starts to make steering noises I change the fluid. That always quiets it down. You can siphon some of it out and refill, or fine the return line from the rack and turn the car on for very short bursts and allow the pump to pump it out, refill as you go. Just don't run it dry.
Charles

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
I have a squeak that I cant find, but it is inside the cabin, maybe the in the steering column. If your squeak is outside, Steve suggests the the lower strut bearings, that is a good place to start, every one I work on has dry lower (thrust) bearings. I disassemble them CAREFULLY, add grease, and reassemble.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,028 Posts
Is it a squeaking as you turn the wheel, or the pump squealing when you hold it at full lock? If the latter, most power steering systems will make a squealing noise when at full lock because that's where the pressure is at maximum. That's why you're not supposed to hold full lock too long.

Rick: a common source of in-cabin steering wheel squeaking is the electrical brush that rubs on the metal ring for the horn at the backside of the steering wheel. My Spider has the same steering wheel and I was able to shut it up by going in through the turn signal lever hole with a long q-tip and slathering some dielectric grease on the ring. Not sure if this'll work on the 164 or if you need to remove the shroud.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
squeak still exists!

Hi there everyone!

Thanks for your help.

@ Gubi-- yeah. the noise comes when i take a full turn ( full lock) to either side.

Anyqay. I am checking it out now... Post the results asap in here~

1 - 6 of 6 Posts