Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My otherwise perfect 164LS has developed an annoying squeak (in contrast to a pleasant squeak :rolleyes: ). Just started now that it is colder. It seems to be coming from the area of the passenger side doors, but hard to pin down.
I gave the latches a shot of wd-40, but no change. Perhaps the rubber molding around the doors? Any other ideas? :confused: Thanks.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
While not an Alfa:eek:, my DD starts squeeking/groaning when it gets cold - sounds nasty and even though I cannot really identify the specific area it comes from, I attribute it to the poly control arm bushings I installed last fall when I rebuilt the front end. Warm weather :), cold :(.

·
Registered
325 Posts
It's not a bad idea to coat the seals with some good silicone, to preserve the rubber and to inhibit freezing the door shut when the seals are wet, and then freeze.

Chances are that when you do that, the squeaks will go away. If you have a sun-roof, don't forget the seals on it too.

Prestone sells a good one, and I'm sure there are others.

Hmmm, better do that myself...:)

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not a bad idea to coat the seals with some good silicone, to preserve the rubber and to inhibit freezing the door shut when the seals are wet, and then freeze.

Chances are that when you do that, the squeaks will go away. If you have a sun-roof, don't forget the seals on it too.

Prestone sells a good one, and I'm sure there are others.

Hmmm, better do that myself...:)
Good advice. Thanks.
Sam

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found it. I drove around a parking lot with each door ajar (to see if that stopped the squeak). Nope, not the doors. For some reason, I tried the sunroof (even though it did not seem to be coming from there). Yep, that was it. A shot of wd40 and now the only sound is the growl of the V-6...ahhhhhh. :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
I found it. I drove around a parking lot with each door ajar (to see if that stopped the squeak). Nope, not the doors. For some reason, I tried the sunroof (even though it did not seem to be coming from there). Yep, that was it. A shot of wd40 and now the only sound is the growl of the V-6...ahhhhhh. :)
Whenever I hear something like this, I feel really happy and also jealous :p, my L makes a lot of wind noise from door jams and sunroof obviously (no matter where you rest ur sunroof, there will still be some wind noise coming from there). Does anyone know if we can get some new seals for the doors and also sunroof and an easy way to find out from where exactly in the door wind is creepin in?? Well last time when I tested, I can hear more wind noise if I press the door seal slightly while cruising, so I thought they became weak.

-Pavan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts