Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I took a day off work and installed the chip. Its a simple job. I did not expect massive hp increases or anything unrealistic. I only changed the chip and wanted to have an honest comparison of before and after. My initial impression was that nothing changed at idle. The revs appeared to climb a bit quicker. When I drove the car, I noticed or felt an increase in torque. I drove about 2hrs in mixed driving. What improved the most was drive-ablitiy in city driving. Acceleration from a stop is so much better. Its the most noticeable improvement in my experience so far. The car used to hesitate to accelerate from a stop. It made me work harder at clutching and sometimes still was't smooth. There always seemed to be a "hitch" in throttle response. I thought I had missed repairing something. The squadra solved this. That was my primary goal with the Squadra. I also noticed that driving in traffic I didn't need to down shift as much either. I do not have check engine lights or starting trouble. Nothing negative. The car simply is much more drivable. I am extremely happy so far. I do recommend this. I have done repairs that were required but this is the best improvement I have made. Communications with the manufacturer was fantastic. I will post after more experience with the chip.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I knew you'd like it! Those were my impressions, also, of the Ricambi chip. I've driven several S4 Spiders, bone stock, in good condition, and none were as quick and responsive as mine (except for Conedriver's, which also has the Squadra). I think it's more of a reshaping of the bhp/torque curve, rather than a brute increase of 25 bhp. But I would guess 7 to 10, by the seat of me pants.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Saabguy, thinking about the increased driveability, it comes to my mind that driving in higher gears (and lower revs) is so seductive that we must not forget the Italian tune up so now an then to get rid of the dirt built up in the engine. Luckily the rev limiter now kicks in at 6800 rpm!

Best regards,
Pim

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have now added quite a few miles after the Squadra chip install. I had my car in good tune prior to the install. This chip is amazing. My only regret is not rating it higher with the feedback request from Squadra. I love classic cars for many reasons. Their biggest downfall is the dated drive-ability from modern cars. This chip is subtle in all categories but it allows me to keep up with modern traffic(especially hilly driving). I now have a few hundred miles with the chip. To be clear, I had the car running properly prior to install. I installed the chip and offer this review. Get this if you have a series 4 car. Its well worth it. Subtleties in most all areas. I have not recorded fuel consumption as I don't care. I have access to 92-94 octane. I never have used anything less before or after the chip. I have done nothing to affect performance prior to or after the chip install. My conclusion is that it is a must have. I hope this helps those on the fence. Their are many options to tweek performance. I will probably pursue them all over time. I will be honest with all posts as I experiment. I did get 30mpg before the install with mixed driving. I tend to be heavy footed when driving. I will post mileage eventually.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I agree 110%, SaabGuy. Personally, I think the two best improvements for a S4 Spider is the Squadra performance chip, and a chassis stiffener. Right up there near the top of the list is a set of headlight relays, also.

Great feedback.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Totally agree with the comments on the chip, and the headlight relays.

I did get 30mpg before the install with mixed driving. I tend to be heavy footed when driving. I will post mileage eventually.
My fuel consumption is certainly no worse than before and is probably better as I don't need to thrash the car up to the redline so much :smile2:

On a recent trip, 60% motorway at ca. 75mph and 40% country roads having some fun, I got 38miles per UK gallon so about 32 to the US gallon.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,085 Posts
I wouldn't expect it to affect fuel economy very much. The chip should only modify fuel delivery when you trip the WOT switch on the throttle: rest of the time it's running under closed-loop control via the oxygen sensor. Unless you're on full throttle all the time the difference should be minimal.

The other thing it does is use a more aggressive timing map, which is why it ups the octane requirement to 93 PON. I liked the additional performance when I tried it, but the additional advance just made it ping too badly on 91 PON (which is the best we can get here in CA).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Chassis stiffener, headlight relays, interior, top....my head is spinning. They are all great ideas. I shared a list of things I'm planning for my car with Alfaloco. I'll keep chipping away but for now I have a new middle muffler and an Ansa rear muffler on the way. They didn't make noise until I cracked my head on the middle muffler while installing the driveshaft! At least the part that fell was from the car and not my skull! Squadra update is simply still extremely satisfied.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
21 - 33 of 33 Posts