Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Squadra chip for my 1991. I think its what I want but I could stand a little input. Anything positive or negative I should know before I tweak this cars brain?

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'm about to pull the trigger on a Squadra chip for my 1991. I think its what I want but I could stand a little input. Anything positive or negative I should know before I tweak this cars brain?
Spider 2.0 i.e., Alfa Spider type 4 - Squadra Tuning

I used custom made chip (without rev limiter) at my former 1992 155 2.0 TS 8v. Regularly revved engine to 7000.
I would advise before using it to change valve springs, valves, shims, chains, spark plugs and wires. Had really bad experience when valve plate broken.
Also I would change cam shafts for more aggressive and delete katalysators

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I bought one over 10 years ago. A slight increase in performance compared to a friend's stock '91 (I don't use the allegedly higher redline), and a slight reduction in mileage.

I forget the exact number, but the Squadra chip website indicated requirement for higher octane fuel. I emailed the chip designer, and he replied that U.S. 93 octane is sufficient (U.S. octane is an average of two test methods, but the Euro method just uses one and this produces a higher number).

·
Registered
702 Posts
Our Spiders with katalysator have 117-120 HP. Non kat (early EU version) has 126 HP.
To get improvement, as per Squadra web site, better to delete katalysator, install different cams and only then chip.

Sent from my Z957 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
I bought one over 10 years ago. A slight increase in performance compared to a friend's stock '91 (I don't use the allegedly higher redline), and a slight reduction in mileage.
Hello,

I have the same experience.

Wasn't difficult to install.

I am glad I installed it, but I have to say, there isn't a huge noticeable difference.

Vin

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,085 Posts
I think it made a noticeable difference. You really need 93 octane, though: best we can get here in California is 91, and on 91 it made my car ping really badly as it works in part by more aggressive timing maps

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
To get improvement, as per Squadra web site, better to delete katalysator.....
is that advise from squadra?
very odd, because you can't delete the cat in europe if the car was delivered with it unless you're happy to drive around the garden and chase after the lawnmower:)

you won't pass the Tüv/Inspection

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had not planned to delete the cat convertor. I planned to simply install the chip and not alter anything else immediately. I asked Squadra if any equipment changes were recommended. They indicated none recommended. We have 93 octane gas here. Since I'm a bit impulsive, at least my wife thinks so, I did order the chip today. I had concerns about damaging the engine. The chip could be removed if I'm unhappy with the result. Since the performance isn't extremely altered, I suspect long term engine life could be affected. I don't have dyno access so my method will be to drive it and report to you all my opinion. Love to hear more from people who have or had this chip. Thanks

·
Registered
702 Posts
You will be satisfied.
If you plan to rev engine to 6800, do not forget to install new spark plugs, tighten the chain and adjust valve clearance.

·
Registered
702 Posts
is that advise from squadra?
very odd, because you can't delete the cat in europe if the car was delivered with it unless you're happy to drive around the garden and chase after the lawnmower:)

you won't pass the Tüv/Inspection
It is my own advise :)

I think Squadra provided power curve based on non cat version, just do not believe in +10 HP without other mods. To have more power engine needs more air to burn more fuel and free exhaust. To get more air necessary to install different camshafts, and delete cat to get better exhaust.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've installed the Squadra chip 3 years ago, and drove about 20K km since. It is specifically developped for the 2L Nord Motronic motor without any modifications. You'll get a more powerful engine with more torque a a bit more power. Not a race engine, but more comfortable to drive. I did not notice an increased fuel consumption, nor problems with overheating or pinging with Euro 98. I asked about that to the Squadra programmer (a former tech of the Alfa, now FIAT importer in NLD) and he said high octane is not really needed. What is needed is an enigine in a good technical condition. And with cat, without would be illegal in GER and disputable in NLD.

For me it is certainly a worthwile mod that chip, but it won't change your Spider in a racecar. Which btw is not claimed by the producer either.

All the best,
Pim

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
I've installed the Squadra chip 3 years ago, and drove about 20K km since. It is specifically developped for the 2L Nord Motronic motor without any modifications. You'll get a more powerful engine with more torque a a bit more power. Not a race engine, but more comfortable to drive. I did not notice an increased fuel consumption, nor problems with overheating or pinging with Euro 98. I asked about that to the Squadra programmer (a former tech of the Alfa, now FIAT importer in NLD) and he said high octane is not really needed. What is needed is an enigine in a good technical condition. And with cat, without would be illegal in GER and disputable in NLD.

For me it is certainly a worthwile mod that chip, but it won't change your Spider in a racecar. Which btw is not claimed by the producer either.

All the best,
Pim
thats a good user's review, Thanks!
(btw: I thought the Netherlands had some of the strictest emmissions laws in the whole of europe, way tougher than GER...no?)

·
Registered
283 Posts
a few years ago, did a back to back comparison on friends spider - motronic > squadra. engine recently rebuilt w intake side of head per kartalamakis book.
the 2 output traces were identical. IDENTICAL. overlay them and could not see any daylight between the lines. the only difference, squadra chip's curve was a little more jagged.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
a few years ago, did a back to back comparison on friends spider - motronic > squadra. engine recently rebuilt w intake side of head per kartalamakis book.
the 2 output traces were identical. IDENTICAL. overlay them and could not see any daylight between the lines. the only difference, squadra chip's curve was a little more jagged.
Bummer.

But its easy to install and its makes you feel as if you've accomplished something.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi, what you accomplish is a smoother ride. Smoother reaction on throttle changes and a higher, more stable idle. And I am sure there is some more torque, although I did not test this one on the dyno. It is just more comfortable at relatively low cost. @spider4 I think the emission regulations in GER are more strict than ours. Here there appears to be discussion between APK (our TUV) inspectors if it is allowed to delete the cat of the motronic 2L, some approve others not. I left on because of environment, and for the green 4 sticker to visit your country!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn T1 7.0 met Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
You'll get a more powerful engine with more torque a a bit more power. Not a race engine, but more comfortable to drive. I did not notice an increased fuel consumption, nor problems with overheating or pinging with Euro 98.
Exactly my experience. I'm really pleased with mine. The torque arrives at lower revs so I can, for example, stay in third gear for lower speed corners where I would previously have dropped to second.
No, it doesn't make it a race car but it does make it more driveable as others have noted.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Go for the Squadra chip, by all means. You will feel and like the improvements, but only if your motor is in good shape anyway, and recently tuned. I think I mentioned to you I have the Ricambi chip in my '91, and I've driven Conedriver's '92 with the Squadra, and there's really no perceptible difference in the two except that they will slightly outperform a stock S4 Spider. They will... believe me!

A bit more torque, better pulling in third and fourth, is what you'll feel. But be very clean in your installation into the ECU board! Ground yourself with a wire wrist strap, and just take it easy. The old chip pulls out, and the new one pushes in. It's that simple. No hurry... Keep your original chip in the little plastic bag for posterity.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the advice Alfaloco. We have spoke about this before. The engine has 29k and doesn't burn oil. I think checking the valves is worthwhile in any case. I had new universals and center bearing done by a local driveshaft shop. I put the new flex disk and installed. Smoooooth....time for chip tuning! I will be careful on the chip install. I'll keep updates with progress and results.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If you have no valves ticking, I wouldn't worry about it unless you just want to check the clearances. Tension the timing chain-- loosen the locknut slightly, roll the car forward 5 or 6 feet in second gear, hold it there and then tighten the locknut.

If your plugs, rotor and dizzy cap are good, and air filter is clean, then you should be able to assess how it's running. I think you'll like it even more!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts