Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a spyder project car. I had a 74 for almost 12 years and should have never let it go.
My question...I have found a lot of more recent ones here in So California at a reasonable price. The one I am looking at now is an 87. I am wondering about smog/catylist. Of course the advantage of the 74 was it had no smog equipment. Will this be really problematic? I am a reasonably good mechanic, but just don't want a lot of hassles with a system that I disagree with in the first place.
Thanks for your responses.
Keeth

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Keeth,

That’s a tuff decision to make. I guess if it were me I would have to first start with how I will be using the car. If she’s going to be a daily driver and aftermarket modifications aren’t that big of a deal I think the ’87 is the way to go. I’m sure you’ll like the more modern aspects and features of the car. If you are looking to build a street/track car I’d defiantly go for the older ’74. With this year you can make unlimited modifications to the motor, exhaust, and suspension and not have to worry about keeping it within regulations.

For what its worth that’s my 2 cents.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I think the 74 is a better looking car. It lacks the plastic look of the later Spiders. However the later spiders have a better looking/functional interiors and are probably easier to maintain. Either would be a winner, though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts