Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Spider (SSM AutoX)
376 Posts
Man, what a deal for a bundle of snakes. Good luck with the sale, I'm sure it will fly off your shelf.

#AlfaNoodleClub

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I’m interested, but what are the welded bubbles up by the flanges? I have Paul’s headers but look nothing like that Fred. We’re these modified at all?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Fred, I did say I’m interested in my last post and emailed you too. Pete.

·
Banned
14,996 Posts
It is interesting that he went to such trouble to get equal length primaries when according to David Vizard they do not have so much influence on performance in a 4-2-1 exhaust.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
There may be something to this as the DARSTAN header from Vintage Customs was the same configuration. Performance gain, or ?

It is interesting that he went to such trouble to get equal length primaries when according to David Vizard they do not have so much influence on performance in a 4-2-1 exhaust.

·
Banned
14,996 Posts
Jim Steck uses modified IAP headers on his engine dyno. Sometimes his customer buys a special exhaust and he does the final tuning with it installed. They have been known to make less power. If an exhaust has been developed on a dyno then I will believe that it makes more power, at least in some part of the rpm range, but if it has been developed with a computer program then all bets are off.

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
You can be assured that the Spruell headers were developed on a dyno. They make good power. But like so many of our options, they are prone to cracking.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
This is barely connected to the original post, but people seem to be reading, so here's a question; would the Spruell header make more power than my IAP- style header and Burns collector ? (An expensive venturi collector recommended by Wes Ingram) Merge Collectors Configurations - What You Should Know

·
Registered
1985 Spider (SSM AutoX)
376 Posts
I don't think it will make more power, necessarily. But tri-Y headers tend to shift the powerband down, making a bit more torque.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
The “what’s the best header“ question can really only be answered knowing the rest of the engine build and the car’s intended use. And even then, it often comes down to experimentation!

·
Registered
1985 Spider (SSM AutoX)
376 Posts
Everyone knows the best header is the noodliest one.

#AlfaNoodleClub

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
The only way to tell which header makes more power is to test them against each other on a dyno. Everything else is an opinion.

The specific engine's specification determines the proper header.

·
Banned
14,996 Posts
The “what’s the best header“ question can really only be answered knowing the rest of the engine build and the car’s intended use. And even then, it often comes down to experimentation!
I agree and I believe that john Shankle designed his headers on a dyno. I made the mistake of thinking that I could gain some HP in the 6000 - 6500 region by shortening the secondaries. I did gain some there but I lost much more around 4500. On a race car that might be a decent trade but John got it right for street cars.

Reactions: horsewidower

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
If I was still pursuing the "boy racer" build on my GTV, I'd buy your offered header in a heart beat. But, the car is now going to a stock build that the Lovely Donna will drive, so we'll stick with stock.

Sort of a bummer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts