Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 370 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks, Greig. I will have them all listed in the top post.

Four Sprints and all different colors! I have to say though, that I've never seen a Sprint in grey color; is this the grey that we commonly see on Spiders of the same vintage? Got a picture?

·
Super Moderator
3,634 Posts
The 750's are now resale red, courtesy of previous owners.......... sigh

Debating whether to paint the Avitiar car the original black or go to baby blue - my favourite.

Ciao
Greig

·
Super Moderator
3,634 Posts
Here are some of the '61 - Olde Faithful

The addition of a 5th gear from a 1600 box had made for very relaxed cruising, note the oil pressure.........

This was a run we did 2 years ago, 2400kms, basically trouble free, excepting for no lights on the Sprint for the return run. This was the changeover point from Sprint to Spider as from the rear view mirror in the Sprint I could just see the top of Mum's head in the Spider, she was trying to hide from the wind - Dad doesn't believe in using the top. We swapped cars as the Sprint has a decent heater & was quite toasty inside. Mum was happy, Dad not so happy...... so we bought another Spider for him, also a '60.

Ciao
Greig

Giulietta's are FUN :D:D:D

(note to self: Don't lend the Sprint out again - the last person decided to fit new headlights from my stores - exit the rare 6V sealed beams for my '35 Renault Cabrio).

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
Data for Giulietta BB Register of the Tornado Blue

The data on the "Tornado Blue" car is as follows:

The S/N of the body is *659450*. The other nrs are: AR1493*10060 (chassi) and AR1315*08822 (engine). It is a Giulietta 750B manufactured in 1959, imported into Portugal and then registered and sold to its first owner on the 7th of September of the same year.

Congrats on the new thread...

Regards,
Carlos Vasconcelos

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks, Carlos. The list is growing steadily (actually, very quickly with Grieg FOUR cars). That just about covers most Sprint owners on the BB? A few missing still?

I was putzing around with my Sprint yesterday, and noted that the steering wheels has chunks of bakelite missing in two places! I have a feeling that this will be very difficult to repair (if not impossible), and possibly replace. Is there a source for reproduction Sprint steering wheels?

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
By the way, do Giuliettas Normales come installed with 5:12s? If so, what is the 1300 turning at 80 mph in top (4th) gear? My '71 Spider's 1750 is revving at around 4K rpm at that indicated speed in 5th gear, and makes for a very relaxed highway cruiser.

·
Registered
20 Posts
With 26" tall tires, 1:1 top gear ratio, 5.12:1 rear gears, and 80mph you would be turning 5295rpms. She'd be sinigng a mighty sweet song.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I was putzing around with my Sprint yesterday, and noted that the steering wheels has chunks of bakelite missing in two places! I have a feeling that this will be very difficult to repair (if not impossible), and possibly replace. Is there a source for reproduction Sprint steering wheels?
Reoriginals sells a complete steering wheel (includes horn ring, horn button, etc.) for $900. Good wheels also show up on ebay on an infrequent basis. Another option is to have it restored. There's a firm in Arizona which is quite famous for restoring steering wheels. You can find them listed in Hemmings or a google serach would most likely find them as well. If you want to do it yourself, Eastwood sells a kit.

My Sprint is also a transition car, 1493 08635, build date March 18, 1959. Sold to Hoffman Motors, spent it's life in California until I brought it to Colorado in 2004. Originally Orchid White with Blue/Gray interior. Now resale red with Carmen Red and Gray vinyl interior scheme. Off the road since 1975. Hoping to get it back on the road before it turns 50........

Chuck

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Sprinting about

Patrick,

I finally remembered to write down my car´s numbers while in the garage and they are as follows:

´62 Giulia 1600 Sprint, chassis # AR 353011, engine # 00112*01375

Also from Archivio Storico:

According to our documentation files, the chassis number AR 353011
originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint (101.12), manufactured
on the 4th August 1962 and sold on the 13th September 1962 in Sweden.
The body colour is bluette (AR 327).

Dennis, Malmo, Sweden

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
According to our register the chassis number AR 1493.21726 originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint, manufactured on the 11th January 1960 and sold on the 22nd January 1960 to Titan Ind. Corporation Ltd. from Johannesburg, South Africa.
The body color is Alfa red (AR 501).​
Grieg,

I had understood from one of the threads floating around here that any 1493 chassis number followed by a 20000 or greater number is a 101-series car? Yet your car (1493.21726) was built in 1960. Is someone wrong here?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
No Patrick, the Bluette is gone long time ago, maybe 25-30 years, and after that it was resprayed in some kind of reddish, hard to say now which one of the shades.
Dennis

·
Super Moderator
3,634 Posts
Steering wheel repairs – You will need a two part epoxy - 2 sticks of stuff mixed by hand to get a ball of stuff which you can mould into the missing places. I use “Pratley's Putty” out here.

Finish it off as neatly as possible, Pratley's works off well with a bit of water - the better you finish it, the less you have to rework with a file & sand paper

Once you have filed and sanded the repair to be smooth & the joint to be as seamless as possible, you can then paint the complete wheel with an epoxy primer & a black epoxy topcoat. Obviously you would need to check with your paint supplier to find a primer & paint that will adhere to the plastic of the steering wheel & follow ALL of their instructions / guidelines.

Caution, even though epoxy paint is tough, wedding rings etc will scratch the painted surface, so be careful.

Ciao
Greig
Sunny South Africa

·
Super Moderator
3,634 Posts
Hi Patrick

Referring to Sprints:

1493 is a 750 Chassis designation - a stamped "E" after or sometimes above the 1493 denotes a Veloce, while the "B" for Normale was never stamped.

10102 is a 101 Normale while 10106 denotes a 101 Veloce.

So yes, while a 1493 is Technically a 750, there did come a time when there was a transition from 750 to 101 and cars built during this period have come to be known "Interim Cars" or "Transition cars"

This period was from around Chassis 1493*6600, Circa May / April '58 to the start of the 101 designation 10102.15501, in 1960, (according to Fusi). By '61 the 1493 Chassis designations had been phased out.

My personal opinion - duck for the flames.... is that there are pure 750's, Interim cars and pure 101's

The Interim cars with the later 101 chip-cutter type grilles and larger tail lights are part of both series and play a unique part in the evolution of the Sprint, they are so varied, that it is difficult to find two which share the same specification, for during this period, so many things changed on the cars, below is a list of some of changes & it is by no means a definitive list, so feel free to add to it.

1.) Front seats -750 seats have removable lower cushions, 101's are fixed
2.) Dash tops - 750's are fixed & painted, 101's are removable
3.) Dash mirrors - 750 mirror glass is held in place by a 3 jaw spring clamp, 101 uses a crackle black housing
4.) 750 engines are not the same as 101 engines - only the pistons & barrels are interchangeable.
5.) 750's used a 4 speed tunnel case gearbox, 101's used a 4 speed split case gearbox - the floorboards are also different, early cars have flat floors, later cars have a taller hump in the transmission tunnel to accomodate the split case gearbox
6.) The differential bearings are different in size - trust me here, it's not by much, but the 750's use a smaller size.
7.) The dash knobs on a 750 are gold, on a 101 they are silver
8.) 750 radio blanking plates are metal, 101's are plastic
9.) 750 sills are open at the bottom, 101's are closed
10.) 750 jacking points are through the outer sill cover, 101's are below the sill.
11.) 750 mudguard or fender flares are rolled over the wire bead horizontally, the 101's are rolled vertically - you need to see & feel this to understand
12.) 750's use the aeroplane casting on the boot, 101's have the number plate bracket.
13.) 750 numberplate lights are in the aeroplane casting, 101's have 2 dome lights on the rear bumper.
14.) 750 front bumpers have no lip on the rear edge, 101's have a lip on the trailing edge
15.) 750's use a light construction front suspension with a 4 bolt upper wishbone, 101's use a much heavier construction front suspension with a 2 bolt & bridge upper wish bone fixing - BUT there was a medium construction front suspension in the Interim period- the wishbones are clearly 3 different sizes and the bush size also changed.

And so it goes on and on, any or all of these changes could be fitted to cars built between the interim years, obviously the early ones have more 750 characteristics, while the later ones have more 101 characteristics.

Please note that all of the above are subject to what "Luigi-on-the-line" fitted at the time

Interim cars are to be celebrated as they are a wonderful blend of any or all of the above and as I've said, they represent a very important phase in the Bertone's build & the evolution of our little Jewels. I've mentioned elsewhere on this board that in about April / May '58 Bertone moved premises and hired an additional 50 heads in the new & bigger premises, these new artisans brought new idea's and concepts in the building of the car, coupled with the sanctioned Alfa Romeo Mid Cycle Enhancement, (MCE in the Motor Industry) where the nose & tail were face lifted, slowly morphing the 750 into the 101, meant that there was a flurry of evolution and activity from April / May '58 to December '60.

If you have an Interim car, you have a very important piece of Giulietta history.

For the record Dad's 11 Jan '60 Sprint was built with 101 seats, 101 front bumper, 750 aeroplane, 750 motor, (1315), a 4 speed 101 split case gearbox, 750 rear bumper, 101 sills, 101 wheel arches.

Looking at the myriad of differences between my '57 and '61, it's hard to believe that they came from the same Works.....

Ciao
Greig
Donning the flame proof suit as I speak......

·
Premium Member
3,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Now I don't know WHAT I have under the tarp! Mine's obviously not a PURE anything, as it has an aeroplane with lights, gold-colored dash knobs, under the sill jacking points, etc. Must be an "interim" car, and I'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Complete the number´s of my Sprint 750B:

Chassis AR 1493 - 02095
Engine AR 1315 - 02131
another number in firewall: *652001*

Beste regards

Marco

·
Registered
414 Posts
My '59's data

I have a '59 Sprint 'abnormale', AR149320753. It now sports a hot 1600, with 5-speed, and 4-wheel discs, but otherwise displays far more 750 traits than 101. Currently red, and may have always been (?).

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm in.

Hi Pat,

Please add my 1962 Giulietta Sprint Normale to the list.

Chassis # 162558

Build date: February 2, 1962

First registration: February 27, 1962 to Régie Nationale Des Usines Renault

Color: Azzurro Iseo (AR 320) with blue/grey interior (no longer those colors but hope to get them back to that state)

Getting it close to being a running vehicle again!

Walt

Attachments

21 - 40 of 370 Posts