Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Alfisti-
We are restoring a late '58 750 Sprint Veloce in Marina del Rey it would be a great help if we could look at a similar Sprint in original condition for detail reference. Is there anyone in the Los Angeles area, preferably on the western side, with a car like this that we could look at and photograph?
By the way, this car originally had trim strips on the horizontal bars in the side grille openings. These had gone missing by the time the car came to us and I have now reproduced them in polished stainless steel. I have a few spare sets that I will sell if someone needs them.
Anton

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
The expert on Confortevoles is Greig Smith in South Africa.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
South Africa is a little too far to travel to shoot a few pictures.
Thanks anyway.

·
Administrator
3,956 Posts
Hello Anton

Nice to hear that you are almost finished with Dan's car, what specific details do you need ?? I have copies of several Press photo's of the SVC around the time of its launch in either late '57 or early '58.

I was helping a friend clear out his garage and in the cellar I found an original pair of Sprint Veloce 'whiskers' complete with the thin chrome strips - as these were only ever fitted to SVC's in Veloce form, I now have an original set for my car, unfortunately the SVC they came off is long gone & none of the owners recorded the chassis number. It brings the numbers to 6 of the early SVC's that were shipped to South Africa.

Ciao
Greig

SVC 06193
Others

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Greig-
We're close, but we are having to re-do nearly everything done by the previous restorer.
Can you tell me what the interior of the glove box looks like? Was there a liner or were they just open at the top? This is the sort of thing that's driving us nuts as there no photos of such details.
Best regards,
Anton

·
Registered
359 Posts
Dear Anton,
Make that an early (not late) 1958 if it's a confortevole SV. Lionel's 06611 is the last one from the last batch, suppost to have ended at 06600. What is the s/n & Bertone #? Hey Lionel, how's about listing your motorcar on PatHung's register?
Sincerely,
Laurence 06559

·
Registered
359 Posts
General note: 1493*E07137 is NOT a confortovole SV, it is a "Poser" remodeled from a 101-type transition shell. Sky Blue, advertised as a Confortevole in Italy.
Laurence

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hello Anton

Dave Strus from Indiana owns a superb SVC ( I've taken the liberty of attaching a photo of his car), he was kind enough to mail me some photos of his car to assist me with the restoration of my '58 SVC.
If you'd like his contact details, PM me and I'll give you his mail address,
Best with your restoration, and we'd love to see some pics,
Nick
Sunny and Wet
South Africa

PS: I would also be interested in a set of the trim pieces.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Hello fellow Alfisti-
We are restoring a late '58 750 Sprint Veloce in Marina del Rey it would be a great help if we could look at a similar Sprint in original condition for detail reference. Is there anyone in the Los Angeles area, preferably on the western side, with a car like this that we could look at and photograph?
By the way, this car originally had trim strips on the horizontal bars in the side grille openings. These had gone missing by the time the car came to us and I have now reproduced them in polished stainless steel. I have a few spare sets that I will sell if someone needs them.
Anton
I'm not sure about the strips other than they were the brass trim profile found on the dash and the interior panels. It seems this whisker trim was also on some Normale's and I have only noted them in the US but could have been for export only as Greig found some in SA. I haven't ever seen them on cars in Europe. My '57 Normale, Stinky, didn't have the bars at all and now it does with the trim sourced in Florida years ago. It's really meant to really confuse as the car is a German car. PS Dave Strus sold his car a few years ago and bought an island, not Manhattan though.

·
Administrator
3,956 Posts
Hi Uncle Rick et al

The little bit of chrome trim on the leading edge of the whisker appears to be a '58 fitment to all Sprints, regardless of whether Veloce or Normale. I have (as yet) not found a '57 car with them and I have a 28 August '57 Sprint Normale & a 28 November '57 Sprint Normale (05262 & 05880) and they do not have them, a friends 29 November '57 Sprint Normale does not have them, yet all the Feb 'to June '58 Confortevoles that I have records of, have them, as do several Normale's from Jan to June '58

I guess it was a 6 month fitment of a bit of shiny tinsel to brighten up the nose just before the 101 face lift came along. Chrome on brass in a "C" section with molded / shaped / formed ends.

For the record, both my '57's are 6" light cars, while my Feb '58 SVC is a 7" light car

Ciao
Greig

1 - 13 of 13 Posts