Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sprint question: The original type flasher have a nice tab with a screw hole ........... but where exactly under the dash is the original location it was screwed to?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
On my two examples, one is screwed to the flange on the steering column support and the other via the bolt on the bulkhead holding the fuse board support. Why a difference I have no idea!

·
Administrator
3,897 Posts
I've had most of the ones I've worked on fastened to the side of the steel steering column support with a sheet metal screw & one with the locator tab 'pinched' under the washer of the column shroud support, but I suspect that was a PO's shortcut

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On my two examples,... the other via the bolt on the bulkhead holding the fuse board support.
For example at fuse box .......... fender side or steering column side. That appears to be most likely for my car.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As to the question ...... "don't I see a hole
Hi Carl,

Can't yo find the hole that was originally made for fastening the flasher unit?
750E mystery screws.jpg

Rgds,

Thierry
I had first expected to see a hole for a typical sheet metal screw on the steering column support, but there is not one. I do have a pair of holes / welded in nuts that I have never determined the purpose of, but being a pair I did not think that was the spot.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Carl,

The factory picture is from the owners manual 811 ( 2/1962) showing a Berlina fuse box.
From that picture, I would think that the tab from the flasher was attached with the right side screw of the fuse box support .

My 1958 Sprint has a kind of tab at that right side of the fuse box support that could have been for fastening the flasher unit tab on.
See dark part at the right side of the fuse box.
The car has the flasher unit taped now on some other wires, certainly not original.

The red car ( 1961 Sprint Veloce ) has the flasher unit at the left side of the fuse box . Alfa used one screw to fasten the flasher unit and the left side support of the fuse box directly in the front-corner panel just like Stuart mentioned.
So that could be the reason for not finding an extra hole for the tab I guess.

Rgds,

Thierry

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Well in my case it is the steering wheel-side of the two fuse box bolt that was used for the flasher fixing. Possibly depends on the length of wire available!

Stuart

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hi Stuart,
... or maybe the year of construction was decisive?
Is yours mounted like on the factory picture? ( first picture in my post)

Thierry

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Yes with the terminals upwards.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone ............. right side or left depending on length of wire is certainly believable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts