Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Tough cars to find right now. I am tryng for a bit over 2 years to find the right car in the US. Most cars are in Europe and most are red. This is probably your best bet if you want one fast (But do all the required dilligence and budget another 10 - 20% of the asking price to make them right).

Good US cars seem to have completely dried up. I tried all the sources above and put several ads in the AROC magazine with no real results (Maybe one, but I will not tell you :)). A good way in my opinion is to know the excellent SS's you want and stay really close to the owners ... and wait and make sure the check book is ready once they decide to sell (This seems to work for another rare Alfa that I am working on really hard right now ...)

Keep looking. It can take while but it will be fun,

Mike

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Good points Lionel. I try to make it very clear in my ads what I want since I am looking for a very specific car (A Giulia SS in number 2+ or better condition, needs nothing, non red and non white, correct engine, interior, etc.).

I also make it somewhat clear in my ad that I am looking for a car for myself and not to flip or speculate. I am aware with SS prices and more than happy to pay a premium for the right car. As a matter of fact, for all the cars I own for years, I paid way over market at the time of purchase. Scary when you do it, very satisfactory when it turns out the car is excellent and you wait half a year or year :)

I can see the frustrations of dealing with tire kickers, I had a lot of those when I sold my Abarth double bubble. However, it comes with it when you want sell a car. On the other hand, on my ads, I also got offered a ton of bullsh*t cars, sometimes equally agravating but you can always refuse politely.

Now, I know the SoCal owners of absolutely great Sprint Speciales and see them regularly in Club and local events. To me, this is the best way to buy a car: Know the car and the careing owner for years.

Mike

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
All the cars for sale "kinda" look nice but have lots of signs of needs. For some that might not be much, for some it might be a lot. There is always a handful of the cars on the market in that condition.

If you are interested in one of those, especially if it comes from Europe, make sure you really check out the car well.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Mark,

I think your only option is to buy an SS and have it re-restored to your liking. Just a thought.

Chuck
Yep, I thought about that. I think though that there are still plenty really, really nice SSes out there, just not the ones that have been brought up in this threat (They're nice but not really nice :) ).

Also, as mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I know exactly the car I want. The owner is a good car aquantance and we see each other at least 2 - 3 times a month. He wants my 911S softie, I want his very special and spectacular SS. Once he is ready to sell, I will be there and the checkbook wide open because it will be very expensive.

By the way, I do not think that Euro 48k is steep. However, this particular car is on the market now for a very long time. I would be very dilligently inspecitng it if I were interested.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
If you think the nice ones are expensive now, wait one or two more years....
Couldn't agree more. Though the Japanese one better be perfect for $84k asking price (If my currency converter is correct ...).

I have to intensify my search: All owners with stellar non-red/ non-white Giulia SSes, PLEASE contact me :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.