Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In the December 1975 Alfa Owner Magazine is an article/interview of Joe Marina co-driver at 24 Hours Daytona International, the driver was Bill Pryor. The SS was one of 63 cars to enter and one of 25 to finish and 25th overall.
What happened to that Sprint Speciale? Anyone have some leads? Photos? History?

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I kinda remember the episode. The SS was a stock street driven car and if finished the race with few or no problems. There may have been other magazine articles about the car and it's great reliability.

In the December 1975 Alfa Owner Magazine is an article/interview of Joe Marina co-driver at 24 Hours Daytona International, the driver was Bill Pryor. The SS was one of 63 cars to enter and one of 25 to finish and 25th overall.
What happened to that Sprint Speciale? Anyone have some leads? Photos? History?

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, that does help a little. :)
What I have uncovered is that the car was sold to Donald Hughes of Nashville, TN. as reported in the April 1977 Alfa Owner Magazine. Donald had owned the car for 3 years and did a restoration on the car bringing it back to stock. Maybe this will help with some leads from the Nashville area owners.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Daytona SS in Canada

Hi All,
That great little white SS that Anatoly Aratunoff owned at the time it raced in Daytona has resided in our collection since 2004.
We have boxes of history and articles and photos because it was in a museum for many years.
Reading the articles, interviews and also the Don Hughes article brings tears to our eyes as to how it was abondoned on a used carlot, resurrected and run at Daytona(with Bill and Joe driving for Anatoly), and to everyones surprise, came 3rd in class (running 9 hours with no clutch). It is a great "ALFA" story.
We hope to have the car ready for the trip to the AROC National in Sonoma July 2013.
Any questions?
Laurie Fraser

·
Richard Jemison
7,070 Posts
SS and Toly

I think that the year Toly had the SS at Daytona (and Sebring) was 1972. He Pitted in the stall in front of James Garner`s Lola.

First ex-wife has pics of us in the pics with the car which she hasn`t released to me.

They get doled out in fits & spurts...just as it was when we were married.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Toley and Joe were partners in several ventures during that time (ugly breakup so I've been told)

I still hear advertisements for Joe Marina car dealerships when I am near Tulsa so maybe Joe still around. Toley still going strong and I saw he had posted on BAT recently.

Very cool the car, and the story still around.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We have owned the Daytona SS since 2004 when we purchased it from where it sat in a museum in Indiana.
We have all the boxes of info and photos and details from when Anatoly Aratunoff bought it and refurbished it to race at Daytona.
It's history and all the original articles are fabulous.
We took the car to the Alfa National in Rohnert Park California in 2013.
If the national comes back west, we'll make the drive again!!
Laurie and Verna Fraser

1 - 9 of 9 Posts