Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From the top of the dash to the floor on the front of the door opening is a standing seam that is covered with a pinch welt or windlace. Does anyone know where to buy it or source a product that works with a cloth skin or rubber.. the vinyl generic I have found. Stuart (alfazagato) and I are looking for it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,020 Posts
Uncle,
Have you contacted Pat Hung here on the BB? He has an extensive collection of rubber goods, both Alfa and Ferrari. He may be able to match something up from your photo's.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sounds good Patrick. I'll get in touch off line and keep Stuart posted and anyone else interested. i just don't have the profile and the car in the picture is in Switzerland. Seems like a job for my nephew in South AfriKa.. uncle rick

·
Administrator
4,033 Posts
Ah Uncle

You put me on the spot & I went out to view 1493*05880, my unrestored barn find & it has a finely ribbed rubber welting running down that seam. No rubber bulb or cloth cover on the welting, just very fine lines / ribs running along the length of the welting - is it original ?? I presume so, but I've only had the car for 10 out of its 54 years !?!?

Now I just know that you are going to send me back to the garage to take a picture for you......

I've also asked the question of an owner with an unrestored '55

Ciao
Nephew

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah Uncle

You put me on the spot & I went out to view 1493*05880, my unrestored barn find & it has a finely ribbed rubber welting running down that seam. No rubber bulb or cloth cover on the welting, just very fine lines / ribs running along the length of the welting - is it original ?? I presume so, but I've only had the car for 10 out of its 54 years !?!?

Now I just know that you are going to send me back to the garage to take a picture for you......

I've also asked the question of an owner with an unrestored '55

Ciao
Nephew
Probably similar to the edge seam profile on rear of the spider behind the bumperr, except I think that was plastic to get the correct body color.. which leads me to ask, George Kraus what he is using for that application on his car. There is more than one way to skin this cat. I'm not necssarily looking for exact correctness, just reasonably correct. The plastic generic stuff will do unless there is anothjer option.. I know Woolies and similar in the US sell s it by the foot. Thanks, nephew

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
We recently were sent a purported "original" for the Spider under-bumper pinch-welt; this had full-length flexible metal underneath, with very fine ribs similar to what your "nephew" describes. We've sent this sample out to our supplier, a die was made, and should have a new section back within in a few weeks.

This will also be applied to a similar application (rear under-bumper lip) on Ferrari 330 GTC/S's.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Found the photograph of the aluminium section I mentioned. Sorry it has not turned round in the uploading process.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Light weight must have had another item.. I'm positive mine didn't have hardware like alloy trim there.....Patrick, this is a $7 item for me to find in any restoration supply shop, so I'm going to go that route. Thanks for your effort, though.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I tend to believe that the aluminium section is correct as I have two cars photographed with them and also it is the same rubber to aluminium seal as at the other end of the door. As a clincher the sill has a cut-out in the upstand which is narrow to take an aluminium piece both ends. I rest, what remains, of my case!

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tend to believe that the aluminium section is correct as I have two cars photographed with them and also it is the same rubber to aluminium seal as at the other end of the door. As a clincher the sill has a cut-out in the upstand which is narrow to take an aluminium piece both ends. I rest, what remains, of my case!
Take another bow! send me two.... Now you know why I gave in so easily! The usual suspects don't even knw what the hell we are talking about and sometimes we make it easy for them because we don't know. But PS, 66PP was like Greig's

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Rick, I will happily get you a pair made but, I suspect this, and I am not certain of this, but the distance from the pinch weld to the rubber seal is variable and thus the aluminium folded section is deeper or shallower to suit each car. As soon as I get mine measured I will send you a drawing so that you can check with your car......alternatively I can make them big and you trim!
Greig....you want some too?

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually, for 7 bucks a side I'm going to go with the generic stuff.. there is always more preessing matters on these things that are over 50 years old. I am surprised we could only raise three of us to address the topic..

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Rick, No problem! Best of luck with the work. Early Sprints are thin on the ground these days!

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Hi guys, I have been watching this thread carefully. Both of my Sprints will need these bits in the near future. I have some original aluminum welting that I have been planning to attempt to use, but I may need a back up plan. Until I am at that point I have no idea what will work. The $7 bits sound good to me, if needed.

So, keep talking, people are listening....... Also, the pictures are a big help.

Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi guys, I have been watching this thread carefully. Both of my Sprints will need these bits in the near future. I have some original aluminum welting that I have been planning to attempt to use, but I may need a back up plan. Until I am at that point I have no idea what will work. The $7 bits sound good to me, if needed.

So, keep talking, people are listening....... Also, the pictures are a big help.

Thanks, Scott
FWIW my number is 5021.. I'll have it in Lexington unless the earth moves

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Coming out of lurker mode for a minute as I finally have some relevant information to contribute. This BB and the 750/101 list have been such great resources for me, and I really appreciate all of you Giulietta veterans sharing the finer points here. I'm still learning, but I do have some pics relevant to this thread.

The following photos are from Sprint Normale 05388. Not an untouched original car, but it has been off the road and in storage since 1974. At some point in the '60s it was resprayed resale red and the interior was redone. Other than that it appears to be very original. It is contributing the following pictures of its door welting to this thread. It appears to be the same as that described by AlfisiSA and shown in the picture from divotandtralee.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Coming out of lurker mode for a minute as I finally have some relevant information to contribute. This BB and the 750/101 list have been such great resources for me, and I really appreciate all of you Giulietta veterans sharing the finer points here. I'm still learning, but I do have some pics relevant to this thread.

The following photos are from Sprint Normale 05388. Not an untouched original car, but it has been off the road and in storage since 1974. At some point in the '60s it was resprayed resale red and the interior was redone. Other than that it appears to be very original. It is contributing the following pictures of its door welting to this thread. It appears to be the same as that described by AlfisiSA and shown in the picture from divotandtralee.
Wonderful! welcome to the fray! Looks very much like the schit on the spider seam as referred to earlier only in rubber.. No more sleepless nights here! Thanks.. PS where be this beauty?

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
At this stage in its life, beauty is quite a compliment from a stranger. Of course I find 05388 very beautiful now, but I am hoping that in a couple years, beauty will be an accurate description for even the most casual observer. We are in Seattle.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts