Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,694 Posts
Personally, I like this kind of car way better than the BRG one at Fantasy Junction, done like something, but not done Alfa-style. I agree these things can be a ton of work. I'm like three years in on my Normale Spider for what is a smallish project.

Andrew

·
Super Moderator
10,599 Posts
Personally, I like this kind of car way better than the BRG one at Fantasy Junction
Thanks for bringing the FJ car to my attention. I sort of like it, though feel the fuel cell and watts linkage are a little over the top. And how the heck do you store luggage for that annual pilgrimage to Monterey, with the gas filler smack in the middle of the trunk floor? Still, for $69,500 you could be driving the FJ car tomorrow, while that same amount of money might barely buy you the BAT Sprint + restoration, with completion a couple years down the road.

The FJ write-up says: "the rear differential housing was narrowed and the axle tubes modified to fit 101 Series suspension". I suspect that got a little garbled in translation. It looks like the car has a 2L differential, with spring and trailing arm mounts modified to work with the 101 chassis. And, of course, the watts linkage.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The one on BAT looks to be hiding some issues, or past issues. I am not in a position to throw stones on that matter however - grin.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
When I built the green car back in the late 90's I built it with the idea that it could be a track day car. The fuel cell came from an old TI race car I parted out and had a flush fill cap. Someone later installed the taller neck and fuel gauge and carpeted the trunk. The rear end is a 2 liter with narrowed axle tubes and 101 suspension mounts/ It is about 1" narrower than a standard 2 liter diff. We built the watts link because I had access to the already narrowed axle assy and welded boss on the rear of the center section. It originally had 6 x 15" Minilites and a rollbar. And it came with the "Veloce" plates, but was not a Veloce.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts