Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Has anyone a pic of how the luggage grommets with leather belts were arranged in the Sprint rear seat area? I think I know how the lower ends of the belts were fitted, but were did the other belt ends with fasteners end up, somewhere in the vicinity of the parcel shelf, possibly upper shelf panel, or under the other side of the seat boards?
And was this set up used on both Giulietta and Giulia 1600 Sprints? Am mainly interested in 1600 Sprint.

Thanks,
Dennis

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,955 Posts
Hi Dennis

The parts book for Giulia 1600 Sprints show that this part number - 101.12.62.479.00, Moulding, fixing luggage strap, was used. They fit on the vertical panel just in front of the rear parcel shelf, with the more open side to the top.

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Greig,

Problem is, I couldn´t find this info in my parts book, it has been copied years ago by another person and this info/page might have been skiped.

Dennis

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
Hi Dennis

The parts book for Giulia 1600 Sprints show that this part number - 101.12.62.479.00, Moulding, fixing luggage strap, was used. They fit on the vertical panel just in front of the rear parcel shelf, with the more open side to the top.

Ciao
Greig
Greig, I think you lost something in translation. This is the at ankle level. The Blue panels you have dennis look exactly like the ones in the parts book with the hand cutouts and the waffle cross hatch pattern. Page 285 TAV 114

Attachments

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have collected and saved some pix of the 101 1600 Sprint rear seat area through times, but none of them show any trace of the luggage straps fixing. Seems to me it must have been optional, haven´t it?
Anyone out there with a 1600 Sprint that can contribute with some wisdom?

Dennis

Attachments

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can anyone contribute with some pics of 1600 or the late 1300 Sprint rear seat luggage securing arrangement? Belts with fixings?

Dennis

·
Administrator
3,955 Posts
Luggage fixing straps

Hi Dennis & Uncle R

Parcel shelf.........suitcase shelf - yes the big wide place where the rear seat would usually go, sorry for the confusion.

This is the only picture I have of a 101 Giulia Sprint interior showing the luggage strap brackets - a '63 Sprint belonging to Ian Evans (now you are famous). Car used to belong to his Dad and years later he managed to buy it back - now being restored. Curiously enough there are no top brackets on the backrest bit...... ??

I've been puzzling over why the parts book shows them and most Giulia Sprints don't seem to have them and I would suggest that they were deleted sometime during '63 as a cost saving, hence early Giulia's have them, while others don't. It's quite common in the motor industry to take uneccessary bits off cars to make them cheaper to produce - customer doesn't get the saving, that stays with the Manufacturer !!

I've never seen nor heard of genuine luggage straps that have survived, the accessories catalogue shows them, but only in a sketch, they are listed in Tavola 1a and in the price list retailed for 3800 Lira - "Cinghioni per fissaggio valigie in vetture" or "luggage securing leather straps". The bit at the bottom looks to be just a simple flat hook, while I'd guess the top is a "T" shape to allow it to slip into the slot & turn sideways.

If anyone is interested in a really great copy of the Accessories catalogue, Philip Leemans on this board sells them - not cheap, but well worth it for the quality of the copy - PM me if you want his details.

Ciao
Greig

Attachments

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi Greig,

Thanks for your pics and comments.

"Curiously enough there are no top brackets on the backrest bit...... ??"

Hmm, irritating since this detail is the one I´m most interested of to see, well, besides the belts and it´s fittings of course.

"I've been puzzling over why the parts book shows them and most Giulia Sprints don't seem to have them and I would suggest that they were deleted sometime during '63 as a cost saving, hence early Giulia's have them, while others don't."

I´m not sure wheater your theory holds water here as the backrest showen in the pics below, found in my car and hopefully originating from it, I say hopefully as all the interior panels were re-done by some of the PO:s (I guess trying to modernise the car as time passed), doesn´t show any drilled holes to it or appertures for the top brackets. Car has been manufactured on August 10, 1962 which makes it very early 1600. There´s however trace of something being glued to the rear side of the backrest in two spots. Problem here is, I have absolutely no clue where and/or how were these upper brackets attached. The backrest seems to me being very flimsy and unstable for this purpose.

P.S. Kisse says hello in a PM.

Ciao,
Dennis

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,955 Posts
Hi Dennis

Those things look like seat belt catches to me, the upper brackets are small oval fittings which were inset into the rear shelf backrest only - they don't attach to anything structural.

Hmmm... your early '62 car blows my theory of "fittings deleted in '63" out of the water ??

Nice to see "The Boss" inspecting your work !!

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
P.S. Greig,

"Hmmm... your early '62 car blows my theory of "fittings deleted in '63" out of the water ??"

Not entirely, I forgot to mention that it has drilled holes for the lower metal brackets....

Dennis

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sprint '60

Dennis,
for what its worth.
On my car there were two eyelets on the crossbeam behind the seats and two slots in the rear panel "backrest".

Regards
Joost

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Puzzling - isn't it ?

I'm no qualified reference here ... it's been too many years since I drove Sprints as new cars.
Just a conjecture on my part ... Is it possible that the notch at the rear edge of the horizontal "shelf" - is more than a handhole ?

What if the notch allowed for a strap to be attached to an anchor point below the panel ... and the luggage was secured by a belt in the form of the yellow outline as pictured ???

Attachments

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Joost,

Thanks for your input, but your car is a Giulietta where these luggage strap arrangements appear to be much more common and apparently also come in several variations, as well as the design of the back seat/backrest is a bit different.

GTD,

I´m thinking exactly the same, although mostly from the point of view that the strapping arrangement as it was on Giuliettas, belts spanning from the upper crossbeam or backrest and down, can´t have been much effective when carring only one suitcase in the car/back seat (not to speak of the backrest´s flimsiness and thus ability to prevent an avalanche of suitcases over one´s head in case of an accident when fully loaded), it must have been more or less entirely loose despite all strapping. I haven´t been in the warehouse where my car is parked yet (too far from where I live for just a check) to check out if the opposite strapping anchors might be somewhere in the area you indicate, but will so soon.

Dennis

Attachments

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm no qualified reference here ... it's been too many years since I drove Sprints as new cars.
Just a conjecture on my part ... Is it possible that the notch at the rear edge of the horizontal "shelf" - is more than a handhole ?

What if the notch allowed for a strap to be attached to an anchor point below the panel ... and the luggage was secured by a belt in the form of the yellow outline as pictured ???
Hi GTD,

Checked yesterday for other possible anchors for the luggage straps on the body structure behind the backrest of my Sprint and niente, so the mystery why no backrest strap slots on so many 1600 and late 1300 Sprints still remains.

Anyone that can enlighten this riddle?

Dennis

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hi guys,

For anyone who is interested, it seems like thanks to Paul, a brittish Alfista, we managed to solve the mystery with the upper luggage strap end fixings. It seems they have been anchored through a pair of openings in the (loose???) parcel shelf!!! Judge yourself from the pics....

Dennis

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,955 Posts
Hi Dennis

This must be a Giulia Sprint feature as the ones on all 5 of my Giulietta Sprints are in the back board where the rear seat backrest' would normally be.

One wonders why Alfa / Bertone would have made such a change ??

Another mystery of the ages

Ciao
Greig

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
My 101.12 Guilia Sprint came with the mounting slots.

Two are mounted on the front-facing part of the lower shelf--they have a bias that favors the part of the strap that goes vertical. This has been secured and has the buckle. It is only about 8 inches long.

The mounting slots are placed on the top shelf as shown in an above picture.

The long part of the strap comes up through the slot and has a hook that stays below the slot and secures the strap when used. This has yet to be fabricated for my car.

I believe that when not in use the long rear strap can be slipped down into the boot.

However, I have only one vintage suitcase and the angle of the strap from top to bottom indicates that two suitcases are needed for a secure hold-down.

:):)

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Vintage Luggage

However, I have only one vintage suitcase and the angle of the strap from top to bottom indicates that two suitcases are needed for a secure hold-down.
So Bob, what's it going to be ... a trip to the attic or some dumpster diving ??? :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
What a treasure trove!

It might take a while to find another quality vintage suitcase.

Perhaps I'll fix a loop at the back of the lower shelf to hold down the hold-down.

:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts