Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am assembling a "Bittsa" '59 Sprint, it has been apart for many years, had several owners and at least one un-successful attempt at re-assembly. It has even been painted twice since it was taken apart.

Over the time the car has acquired a lot of parts. Many are not for this car or model. The parts mess is driving me slowly insane, but persevering, I am finally down to assembling the doors after which it will be ready for upholstery.

My question is: how the heck do the door limit straps assemble and work? These came in bits and pieces scattered in the boxes, I am now afraid I either have the wrong ones or something is missing. The last Sprint I assembled was 8 years ago so my memory is no help at all and the parts book is not clear either. (1/4 inch drawing).

Ciao,
Bill Gillham
Jefferson Oregon

Attachments

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I have a 1961 Sprint Veloce and it has door limit straps. I know of two other Sprints that had door limit straps, but the 1962 Sprint straps were lost by the body shop and the 1961 Sprint Veloce straps were not delivered with the car. I saw Giulietta Berlina door straps that look similar to the ones on my car that were for sale on eBay. The straps have a curved metal flat bar that attaches to the door and has a zinc metal casting that is bolted to the body. The strap goes through the zinc metal casting and has a rubber block attached to the strap.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies. a bit more digging in boxes provided the answer...Two neat chrome guide plates that screw to the door to guide the rod. I installed everything and it all works like a charm. It really helps to have all the parts.

FYI the plates were a part I had never seen before, so I wasn't looking for them. it was the screw holes in the door that lead me to find them.

Pictures for curious minds attached.
Ciao,
Bill Gillham
Jefferson Oregon

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Giulietta Sprint Door Limiting Strap

Late Giulietta Sprints used the new Giulia chassis and had completely different door hinge and limiter than earlier Sprints. I'd never seen a picture of these (missing) later limiters (check straps) except in the thread referenced by alfadini above.
Here's picture of the door limiting strap mechanism from my '61 101 Giulietta Sprint Normale. It wasn't chromed, and required some cleaning to look presentable. Also attached is a copy of an earlier post on the BB (which I have not been able to identify) that explains how it mounts. Unlike the one in that post, my mechanism has two holes in the end of the strap that goes into the door, with a split pin through the farthest hole. Mounting was pretty straight-forward: with the pin removed, slide the strap all the way out from the jamb mount, insert the strap into the door as far as it will go, then reach into the door and place the pin. I used the farthest pin hole, but assume you use the one that best keeps the door from opening too far. Then you can slide the mount down the strap and screw it to the jamb.
Note that there is also a stop on the door hinge itself, which may be all some of the other series cars relied on.
Don

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts