Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Did you phone my recommended mechanic? Did he persuade you to do it yourself? He does that, here I am close to 8 years since I phoned him and I can pull a boxer engined car down with 3 spanners thanks to that man...:D
the ticking nose I would suggest would be valve train related.

well while its out you could inspect the bearing shells for any uneven wear, have a look at the thrust washer to see if the previous owner sat with his foot on the clutch at the traffic lights, maybe check the end float of the crankshaft.

If your going to replace the rings you may as well give the bores a lick with a hone just to be sure they do a good job of bedding in. If your taking all the internals out you may as well have them balanced (I was amazed at how much of a difference in weight between parts there was, and a strange slight vibration at 3000rpm is now gone) and if your keen and you machinist is too, about 900gm to 1kg can be removed from the flywheel...certainly made my 1.7 a bit more eager. Try Chris Milton engine developments on main north Rd, near Scottys motel...brilliant machinists, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
755 Posts
sounds good thus far. A port job will be a good start. Cams will definitely boost performance. A mate of mine had cams on his 1.5 and it made a heck of a difference, absolute screamer of an engine, sounded awesome. He sold the car and the new owner wrote it off, i could put you in touch with him as he still has the engine and he'd probably sell the cams on. The cams were the single lobe type and were re profiled by a company in Melbourne that do a lot of V8 Supercar cams.
I'm not sure if the valves are any different, I would suppose that they are the same as the heads aren't any different between models, so valves should be the same length.
If the guy with the twin lobe cams is who I think he is, I wouldn't mind getting the data off you/him before you put them in your car as I was looking to have a copy of those cams made for my Sud project, I believe they are a Colombo Borriani cam, and last time I asked were strictly NOT for sale.:D

Keep in touch, Id like to see how your project develops!

·
Registered
755 Posts
i was surprised to find a crossed drilled crank, i was led to believe that it was only the early suds that had these?????
I have heard differing accounts ie only Ti Suds got cross drilled cranks or the early cars didn't/did, all of which are unfounded.

I think all the boxer cranks are cross-drilled, from beginning to end of production, atleased all the ones Ive seen. Even my 1.7 is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.