Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1958 750B Giulietta Sprint Abnormale, 1959 101.05 Giulietta Sprint Normale
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1959 Giulietta Sprint 101.
It arrived on my doorstep without headlight trim rings.
It has US OEM original Lucas headlight bowls.
Carello repro rings can't be fastened as there is nothing around the rim to secure the ring, nor a hole for any screw at the bottom of the trim ring.
It's not obvious that Lucas compatible repro trim rings are available.

As this is a driver, and not a concours car, the next step was to just swap in some new buckets with repro Carello rings.
I tried the metal bowls ("Headlight bowl 7" Metal Alfa Romeo / Ferrari and others") from OKP.de.
In the picture, it shows the kit includes the little springy clips that would retain a carello trim ring, so I assumed that would work.
In fact, when you look at those clips, which are sold separately, there is an image showing them mounting on a Carello bowl.

BUT, the bowl OKP.de ships comes with the clips but have no provision for mounting them nor a hole for the set screw on the rings.
Yet another POS repro part. It actually has "CARELLC" printed on it, presumably to avoid a copyright issue were it to say "CARELLO"
It should just say "CRAPELLO" but I digress.

I can cut a slot in the bowl for the triangular tip, depress the two mounting holes for clearance of the trim ring, and the rivet them together.
But does anybody have a better solution? Lucas rings? Carello ring to Lucas bowl adapter?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The "trim ring" is the outermost chrome trim that surrounds the headlight....not the internal piece that holds down the headlight. Picture attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
531 Posts
pvais,

If you have the original Lucas F 700 headlight bowl it should have a small bracket riveted to the bottom edge which engages the trim ring retaining screw. If this is missing you might be able to fabricate a replacement.

I believe the trim ring you need is Lucas 554225. This part number is shared with Nash Metropolitans, and parts vendors for those vehicles do list reproduction trim rings.

There was one NOS trim ring on eBay about a month ago which went unsold. Do a search in completed auctions for that part number; it is probably still available from the vendor.

Joe

. image.jpg

·
Premium Member
23,065 Posts
If it's any help, I have a Lucas bowl off a 58 US Spider you can have free. Trim ring is no good, but if the bowl helps...
Andrew

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the referral to the Nash Metro parts bin. That looks pretty promising and will let you know if it works out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Andrew - thanks for the offer for the free bowl but not necessary.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I have a 101 Sprint that uses the Carello head light buckets. The headlight rims are held on using three small triangular spring tabs that are shown in the OKP photo. I believe that the Lucas head light buckets were only used on the Giulietta Spiders, and the headlight rings were held on using a machine screw that also had a hex head. I have Sprint headlight buckets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts