Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some spring options. Has anyone put the IAP red springs on a Berlina? I have them on my GTV and like them but I see where Berlina stock springs are longer and different rate which might lower a Berlina to much. I'd like it a little lower but not much. Recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Looking for some spring options. Has anyone put the IAP red springs on a Berlina? I have them on my GTV and like them but I see where Berlina stock springs are longer and different rate which might lower a Berlina to much. I'd like it a little lower but not much. Recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!
IA (Red) springs were on "Supah" when I bought it in June 2013.

I found the ride very harsh, perhaps ideal for a smooth track, but often our tours are over "B" roads. The stock suspension was originally designed to be driven quickly over any road surface.

I talked with David Rugh and he provided new fronts with 500/inch rating and about an inch lower than stock.

Much better!

I prefer something a little firmer than stock with a stiffer bar.

:cool2::cool2:

·
Premium Member
13,979 Posts
Mike,
I can give you a very good deal on a set of IAP springs if you decide to go that route.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Subtle, that is what I expected, I like them on the GTV but I'm looking for the subtle:) ride quality of the sedan with just a hit of lowered and firmness. Is David in the business of providing springs and if so how would one contact him?
Ed, thanks for the offer!

·
Premium Member
21,668 Posts
He's a longtime racer too, has an extraordinarily fast Formula Super Vee he runs in vintage races. I hear his supplier situation is changing and he is in a small hiatus for actually making springs, but maybe that period has passed now.

I had Rugh springs on my track GTV, was very happy.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
13,979 Posts
I contacted Dave Rugh before Christmas and he said that he hoped to be back in business by the end of January but I have heard no more from him despite a prompt.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I sent an email to David and he responded back that the spring manufacture that he was using went out of business. He said that he does have sway bars but no springs.

DJ

·
Registered
411 Posts
That's too bad. Did he suggest another comparable source? The stance using his past springs sure looked perfect on some of the Giulietta cars that I've seen here. Those together with a new sway bar seem to have plenty of good feedback. I have new springs, but I just bought the stock height versions.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
No he didn't offer a suggestion or alternative. But there are others out there like Alfaholics or the ones advertised in the Giulietta Letta. Just started my search. Maybe we could move this to the Giulietta section?

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
When I was doing up my second Super, Dave said that he really liked his 500/inch front springs on 105s.

Mine was the best handling Alfa I ever had--, particularly on "B" roads.

I don't remember any other of the specs, such as length when not loaded.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts