Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone. I'm looking for a new set of springs for my Spider. The car exhibits too much nose-dive under braking and I'd like to stiffen things up a bit. So far though, all the springs that I've found are lowering springs. Basically, I just want some stiffer springs that maintain the stock ride-height.

Any suggestions?

Thanks Much

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi,

I don't know springs like that, but I had a similar problem with mine.
I replaced the shocks to Koni ones, you can set them to "stiff" condition.
Maybe that will help you.
Saar.

·
Registered
what part?
10,305 Posts
on the spring , check out speedway motors..i bought mine there, very nicely priced..there ' true coil ' spring run 41.99 for the 5.5 " springs i have 1150"/lbs sring in the front of my car. the rear cost 41.99 each also... as for shock.. sorry i use qa1 shocks..

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Wayyyyyyyyy easier to replace the front shocks than the front springs.

Could be worth trying.

Vin

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Koni reds only allow adjustment of rebound (how fast the springs expand) while the more expensive yellows adjust for bump and rebound (how fast the springs compress and expand) and neither do for ride height as that is a function of the springs.
Springs hold the weight, shocks control how fast the weight moves.

To get height set how you want, you'll need to employ spring shims which are available through most of the regular suppliers in a few different thicknesses.
loose rule of thumb is the front shims have 'about' 2x the effect of thier thickness while the rear shims are much closer to 1:1
EG: a 10mm shim will raise the front end about 18~20mm while a 10mm rear shim will raise the rear about 8~9mm.

BTW, when you say stock ride height, do you mean European ride height, which is actually correct, or US ride height, which is Euro ride height raised up some to meet some obscure bumper height requirement.

·
Registered
837 Posts
BTW, when you say stock ride height, do you mean European ride height, which is actually correct, or US ride height, which is Euro ride height raised up some to meet some obscure bumper height requirement.
FMVSS regs call for a standardized bumper height (impact area) of 14 inches at the bottom, and 20 inches at the top.

FMVSS regs call for a minimum of 22 inches above the ground to the center of the headlight.

·
Registered
what part?
10,305 Posts
yea... like that going to help our spiders ( bumper hight) not too many cars have the same bumper hight of our cars.. even a civicc it taller..

·
Registered
837 Posts
Nope, what you are probably looking at is the urethane bumper cover, which make it appear higher. I recently was behind some sort of generic late model car, in which the rear bumper cover was off. Hanging really low was the bumper bar!

·
Premium Member
14,817 Posts
When I installed Vick Auto (same as IAP) red springs in my spider, the ride height was not lowered, in fact it may have been raised a little because the old springs were so tired. You may hear from a few people who say that the red springs are too stiff and/or too short, but I like them.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
You need shocks anyway. Get some Koni's or Bilsteins from International and be happy.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Spring rates and ride height

I hope you have more luck than me figuring out how to have an increased spring rate, maintain the same ride height and keep lots of wheel travel for a decent ride. I finally figured the only way that was going to happen was to have some springs custom made, which even after you do all the math was most likely going to result in trial and error.

So I stayed stock but I don't have things back together yet so I can't tell you if I'm going to be happy. I hope someone comes through for you here because it isn't too late yet for me to try some stiffer springs without having to tear anything down.

I would pay attention though to the advice out there that everything is one big dynamic system. If you raise the rates dramatically at one end of the car and not the other you are likely not going to be happy.

Good luck and please keep us all posted on your decision and how things turn out!

·
Premium Member
14,817 Posts
My second GTV, a 74, was built by Tom Turner - First floor sports Cars, jacksonville FL. It had stock car springs. Tom told me the spring rates but I don't remember them. I think that he cut them to the exact length with the suspension at full droop so that they could be easily changed. They worked well. GTV4EVR now owns that car.

·
Registered
what part?
10,305 Posts
my front springs are rated at 1150'/lbs.. with my qa1 socks set at 5( out of 16) it's a really nice ride,i don't bottom out, the comprssion is really well controled, not harsh at all,very controled.. you hit a dip or a bump the car just settles before you can think about it, much better than koni's that i took off my car.and you cannot 'bottom' the shocks out. the qa1 shocks are compression, and rebound in adjustment.. and about the same price as koni's

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
My second GTV, a 74....had stock car springs.
I think that he cut them to the exact length with the suspension at full droop so that they could be easily changed. They worked well
Cutting coils off effectively stiffens the spring rate, so what you had were physically shorter and stiffer than stock, thus not definable as stock.

Modified stock mabe, but not stock. ;)

·
Premium Member
14,817 Posts
They were stock as in "Stock Car Racing"

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I have the IAP sport springs (red) and I shimmed the front springs to gain more ground clearance..............for me the front IAP springs were to short for city driving.

My stance is almost dead level. FWIW on shocks I am running Koni Yellows up front and the stock Spica's on the rear.

Tires in picture are 205/50/15's

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the replies. I might start with shocks first. The car is 30 years old so could probably use some new shocks anyway :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts