Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd post a couple of pictures of the spring pans I removed yesterday. They sat on the car untouched by humans for 37 years. If you know you have alu bottom spacers on your front springs, well ... get some nylon ones ;)

The spring pan was more or less a solid piece of rust and corrosion, but the pan metal appears to be good underneath it all. No wonder the front suspension didn't rattle :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
797 Posts
The pans look a lot like mine I recently took off. But after scraping away the rust with a small chisel and wire wheel on an electric grinder, and after painting with Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator, they looked (almost) like new. The rubber rings were replaced with new ones.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good to hear. I'm trying to replace as few parts as possible, and I was on the verge of getting new ones after spending a long time with a chisel this afternoon. Gonna be spending a lot of time with a wire wheel this autumn I think. Err ... this autumn too ;)

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After several rounds of chiseling, rust eater, more chiseling, the angle grinder wire wheel, rust eater and the wire wheel again, the spring pan came out OK-ish. The metal in the spring pan have some "orange skin" (or cellulites for those who are in touch with their feminine side :D ), but it's not as dramatic as it looks in the picture. They now look like this, painted with an alkyd based primer mixed with a penetrating oil paint additive. It's the same stuff they primed whaling ships with back in the day, so it should work okay under the black paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
797 Posts
Wow! Those look a lot different! Good job. As for the color, why cover up that blue?? It would certainly make a statement :) Now you know that the pans will last another few decades.

Driving season must be short in Oslo? My grandfather was born there, always wanted to visit...someday... Cheers.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Driving season must be short in Oslo? My grandfather was born there, always wanted to visit...someday... Cheers.
The oldtimers are slowly disappearing from the roads around now, and mid October they're gone until april. Not bad a driving season since Norway is roughly on the same latitude as Alaska northwards.

Myself I'm originally from way beyond the polar circle ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts