Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Im having some troubles spotting a coolant leak on this LS. It will puddle on the ground after some driving. The location it puddles is the drivers side of the rear head.
I ran the car for a few minutes ( just under OT) and it was not leaking fluid. But definitely does leak some fluid. I thought it could be landing in the subframe.
I cant visibly spot any the leak, and i know there are a few hoses there. What is a usual place for a leak here?

Thanks,

Don

·
Registered
503 Posts
Is it coming from the overflow on the coolant cap? you may just need a new cap? under 10$ if i remember right

thanks and have a blessed day

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have had 2 issues with my cooling system, one of which definately involved a leak. First, the expansion tank bottle would not hold pressure and while I did not actually see it leaking, it was affecting the coolant system by not maintaining the pressure needed to keep the fluid from heating up too much. I am sure it was leaking somewhere while it was running at higher enging speeds, just now when it was idling. I also think the cap needed replacement as well.

The second involved my radiator. Fluid was seeping out along the seam on the passanger side of the radiator. It was a minor amount of fluid but we were able to spot the seepage when the car was running. The radiators are mostly plastic and the heating and cooling over the years stresses them to where they develop micro cracks at the seams and joints. A new expansion tank, cap and radiator solved both situations. Now, the system appears to be holding up to the Texas high temperatures (knock on wood).

I hope this helps out some and good luck,

Jeff
Dallas

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will check the overflow cap. I am doubting it is that because the coolant will pile on the ground after i shut the car off and it is not far above 160 degrees. The coolant in the bottle was about 1/2 full when I tested last.

I did notice some cracks in the coolant reservoir itself along the seams. Maybe it is just leaking from there, All of the hoses look good.

Also to note: this leak started happening after a slight overheat (215ish) so it should be something that can no longer withstand heat.

Thanks,

Don

1 - 4 of 4 Posts